Default Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JRP

Default Vertical vs radius lift? Which is better? I'm looking at track loaders and skid steers. Bobcat has equipment with both radius lift (single pivot for lift arms) and vertical lift with a complex linkage. What is your opinion of the two, which is better? I listed the (A) advantages and (D) disadvantages of the two designs that I could think of. What did I miss? Any other ideas? Radius lift: A Lower initial cost, A easier maintenance, A less slop initially due to fewer pin connections, A less slop in linkage with wear, D does not lift vertical, so precise hole boring involves front back movement of the machine. D lower lift capacity because lift moves further outward. D less lift height. Vertical lift A greater lift capacity, A greater lift height, A vertical lift path, D more expensive, D more maintenance, D more slop due to more pins. I guess my biggest concern would be the slop in pins. Is that a real concern? JRP

skidsteer.ca

You will definitely see the boom slop side to side more, not that it hurts anything but it is not as tight because of the extra pins. You have pretty much hit all the points, but a vertical lift still does not rise exactly straight up so the operator still needs to compensate when boring holes, just not as much.
The extra foot of dump reach at full height does come in handy though if you dump material at full lift.
I have both and have had not problems with either. Radial is more rugged. tighter and easier to maintain, the vertical has more reach if you don't mind greasing more places.
Ken