Deere 240

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fieldcutter777

Hello, I have a John Deere 240 skid steer that I have noticed it leaking hydraulic fluid from the top the hydraulic pumps that are located directly under the seat/cab. I have cleaned it thoroughly several times and checked all hoses and none of the hoses are leaking around the pump. If I let it just sit and idle, no fluid shows up on the pump but when I operate it at all there will be fluid that shows up on top of the pump and running down the side of it. I have contacted a local John Deere service center and they have told me that you cannot rebuild/replace the seals on the pumps on these hydraulic pumps, that you have to just replace the pump itself. The total cost of repair estimate I have is just shy of $10,000. Somehow I don't believe that this is the case so I figured that I would post on here to see what your guy's thoughts are on it. Thanks in advance

flyerdan

First of all, I would think that the service center has more balls than a bearing factory to spout such an insane price on top of a questionable statement like that. Somebody had to put that hydraulic unit together from various pieces, which one would assume includes seals.
Does the pump have 90 degree fittings on top that the hoses attach to? Chances are that there is an O-ring that seeps a bit under pressure, which is why it doesn't show up at idle. The fittings usually have a nut that snugs them down to the O-ring as they have to align to the mating hose and can't be screwed in to form a seal. I had a leak on mine that just needed the fitting nut tightened. Getting a wrench to it was a challenge, and I had to modify it a bit to make it work.

Tazza

Staff member
First of all, I would think that the service center has more balls than a bearing factory to spout such an insane price on top of a questionable statement like that. Somebody had to put that hydraulic unit together from various pieces, which one would assume includes seals.
Does the pump have 90 degree fittings on top that the hoses attach to? Chances are that there is an O-ring that seeps a bit under pressure, which is why it doesn't show up at idle. The fittings usually have a nut that snugs them down to the O-ring as they have to align to the mating hose and can't be screwed in to form a seal. I had a leak on mine that just needed the fitting nut tightened. Getting a wrench to it was a challenge, and I had to modify it a bit to make it work.
I'd like to call BS on the fact there are no seals to replace in the pump. It was assembled to not leak from the factory, it can be done again.
I'm thinking a bad Oring or possibly a crack in the housing that the fitting screws into, can you get a picture of the area at all?

farmshop

I'd like to call BS on the fact there are no seals to replace in the pump. It was assembled to not leak from the factory, it can be done again.
I'm thinking a bad Oring or possibly a crack in the housing that the fitting screws into, can you get a picture of the area at all?
Most of the time the bushing between the 2 pumps goes out wrecking the housing of the 1. We did the pumps a couple times in our 250. Been 5 years or more ago but is was probably 5000 than. You could talk to a hydraulic shop about rebuilding yours

kgerhardt

Most of the time the bushing between the 2 pumps goes out wrecking the housing of the 1. We did the pumps a couple times in our 250. Been 5 years or more ago but is was probably 5000 than. You could talk to a hydraulic shop about rebuilding yours
Our JD 250 had a similar problem a year or so ago....leaking hydraulic fluid on the pumps under the cab. Our problem turn out to simply be loose (and broken) bolts holding the right and left hand controls on top of the pumps. Once they were both disassembled and then tightened down properly, all leaking stopped and the controls were obviously more responsive as well. It turned out to be a simple fix in our situation. Good luck!

johnnyAirtime

FiedCutter.... I see you posted your issue, but never updated. In fact, looks like you posted this 1 post, and haven't been back. Any updates to your issue?? I have the same issue, and have read other's replies back to you. ... I'm hoping I too can find an easy fix like kgerhardt found. I'll be looking into it deeper very soon. And, I'll post an update to what my findings were. Thanks, John

byrd65

I have a John Deere 240 skid steer that has a hydraulic fluid link under cab. My question is can you raise the cab up with motor running, to help find the link

mekabajo

There is a leaky seal somewhere. You just have to locate it to fix your problem. Some seals are easier to replace than others, depends on location. But first step is to locate the leak. Clean everything up the best you can, start the engine, and keep checking to see if you can find the leak. Not worth the time for the dealers to fix, they just replace the whole pump. You need a special device to run the engine with the cab up. Better just start the engine with the cab down, stop the engine, lift up the cab to check for the leak.