Daewoo DSL601 steering problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rhartsoe

I just bought a 1997 daewoo 601 which sounds great. However, this is my 1st skid steer and I did not know what to look for and had never run one. The problem, steering sounds like it is in a total strain and will not make a zero turn. It has plenty of fluid, but it may make a turn or it may just squall at me. My understanding as a newbie is that it may need the steering pumps or motors for both sides? or maybe just one side? Or is there another possibility that I need to look at. We replaced 3 hoses that were leaking and the engine sounds great. I have ordered a parts manual but I am looking for suggestions or help. I paid $6,000 which seemed like a good deal if everything was good. Would I be better off to dump it and start over or to repair it? I am not a mechanic but I do have a mechanic who works of heavy equip. but has never worked on a skid steer. Any help would be appreciated. My personal email is [email protected] I have retired, am 71, and would love to have this thing working good without stressing me out. Bob

Tazza

Staff member
The best thing to do is start with the simple things, new filters.
What sort of revs are you running the machine at? it should be 1/2 to 3/4 of it's top speed.
A good test is to push the machine up to an unmovable object like a big tree and push against it. See if the wheels will spin in the dirt.