Crankcase level high

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jinxie

Hi I have put about 10hrs use on my 94 753. The previous owner had it serviced just before i purchased it. I have noticed the oil level is above the full mark. I am going to drain some off, but my question is can anything, like diesel fuel, find its way into the crankcase to raise the level? I just dont want to overlook anything. Thanks

Idoitall

Absolutely! In most combustion engines, including skid steers, both fuel and the coolant CAN end up into the oil system when things go bad. Typical suspects could be a cracked head or block, leaking or blown head gasket, loose head bolts, etc. I've even seen improper bolt use cause this in auto engines. Draining and inspecting the oil will usually show this if it is significant. The coolant system can also be pressure tested to determine if it is leaking.

You'll get some good input from others here. Good luck.

skidsteer.ca

Absolutely! In most combustion engines, including skid steers, both fuel and the coolant CAN end up into the oil system when things go bad. Typical suspects could be a cracked head or block, leaking or blown head gasket, loose head bolts, etc. I've even seen improper bolt use cause this in auto engines. Draining and inspecting the oil will usually show this if it is significant. The coolant system can also be pressure tested to determine if it is leaking.

You'll get some good input from others here. Good luck.
It may have just been overfilled. You were parked fairly level?
When you drain it off look for coolant in the oil and smell it to see if it smells like fuel.
Caterpillar and likely others can do "oil sampling" for a fee and will give you percentages of wear, fuel etc found in the oil if you really want to know what.
If you see coolant, definitly get the cooling system pressure tested, a cracked head is not good but its better then wiping out the crank and main bearings.
Fuel in the oil can indicate bad injectors or running too cold
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
It may have just been overfilled. You were parked fairly level?
When you drain it off look for coolant in the oil and smell it to see if it smells like fuel.
Caterpillar and likely others can do "oil sampling" for a fee and will give you percentages of wear, fuel etc found in the oil if you really want to know what.
If you see coolant, definitly get the cooling system pressure tested, a cracked head is not good but its better then wiping out the crank and main bearings.
Fuel in the oil can indicate bad injectors or running too cold
Ken
I agree with all the above, i'd give the oil a good sniff to ensure the fuel pump diaphragm is not broken leaking fuel in the crank case. It could be as simple as being over filled. Just how much over full is it?
If the injectors are leaking and not giving a good spray this will eat the top of your piston out! You would notice this though, you would get a lot of black smoke.

OP
OP
J

jinxie

I agree with all the above, i'd give the oil a good sniff to ensure the fuel pump diaphragm is not broken leaking fuel in the crank case. It could be as simple as being over filled. Just how much over full is it?
If the injectors are leaking and not giving a good spray this will eat the top of your piston out! You would notice this though, you would get a lot of black smoke.
Its about 1/2" over the full mark at least. Since it has less than 20 hours since the filter has been changed, Im just going to dump the oil, fill with fresh to the correct mark and keep an eye on it. Tell me more about the fuel pump diaphram. Can it be changed? Or does the whole pump need to be changed? Is it just the small transfer pump or injection pump? This engine has NO run/start/smoke issues. It runs smooth and just gives a slight haze of smoke on start up then clears right up. I will keep an eye on it when I put fresh oil in it and keep this thread updated. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Its about 1/2" over the full mark at least. Since it has less than 20 hours since the filter has been changed, Im just going to dump the oil, fill with fresh to the correct mark and keep an eye on it. Tell me more about the fuel pump diaphram. Can it be changed? Or does the whole pump need to be changed? Is it just the small transfer pump or injection pump? This engine has NO run/start/smoke issues. It runs smooth and just gives a slight haze of smoke on start up then clears right up. I will keep an eye on it when I put fresh oil in it and keep this thread updated. Thanks
I am assuming its running a Kubota engine. There will be a small pump under the injector pump, have a look where the fuel hoses run. The diaphragm can be replaced or the pump can be changed too, they aren't REALLY expensive but still i wouldn't want to be changing it every few weeks.
Thats a good idea, drop the oil and re-fill to the correct level, this way you will know the level is correct. When you drop the oil have a look for water contamination.
Good luck.

scar99

I am assuming its running a Kubota engine. There will be a small pump under the injector pump, have a look where the fuel hoses run. The diaphragm can be replaced or the pump can be changed too, they aren't REALLY expensive but still i wouldn't want to be changing it every few weeks.
Thats a good idea, drop the oil and re-fill to the correct level, this way you will know the level is correct. When you drop the oil have a look for water contamination.
Good luck.
I have also seen a couple of Kabota tractors lately that the injector pump was leaking into the crankcase. The lift pump or small pump under the injector pump is a good place to start.