Crank, but won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kroog

I have a deutz engine in my skid steer. I was pushing snow the other morning and it idled down, then died. I started the machine and worked it for another half hour or so-no problems. I parked it in the shed. The temp that morning was about 11 degrees F. I plugged it in. When I tried to start it again, it will fire, then die. I changed the water separator and tried again-same problem. It was about 35 degrees today. I get black smoke out the exhaust and it will fire, idle for about 4 seconds then die like its fuel starved. Can anyone help? I can't move it now. It is still in the shed (no heat), but have a magnetic pan heater on it. I can't figure this one out. It has never done it in the past. Please help!!!

mrfixitpaul

Sounds like a fuel issue. Is the fuel primer bulb collapsing when the machine dies? If the temp is that cold it could be gelled fuel, or you may need to remove the fuel pickup hose in the tank and clean the screen at the bottom.

bobbie-g

Sounds like a fuel issue. Is the fuel primer bulb collapsing when the machine dies? If the temp is that cold it could be gelled fuel, or you may need to remove the fuel pickup hose in the tank and clean the screen at the bottom.
Here's an idea, if you can find a friend who really trusts you: Assuming you have a priming bulb, have your friend pump it while you're starting the engine and keep pumping when it starts. If that keeps it running, then I think you're pretty sure it's fuel starvation that kills it. Maybe a pick-up problem in the tank, crack in the pickup line somewhere (in the tank or in the lines up to the lift pump) or the lift pump itself. When my 751 lift pump (internal to the injector pump, unfortunately) went bad, the diagnosis was done by pumping on the bulb. When the engine speed increased, that was the indicator the lift pump was failing. And it did finally fail completely. :) ---RC

Fishfiles

Here's an idea, if you can find a friend who really trusts you: Assuming you have a priming bulb, have your friend pump it while you're starting the engine and keep pumping when it starts. If that keeps it running, then I think you're pretty sure it's fuel starvation that kills it. Maybe a pick-up problem in the tank, crack in the pickup line somewhere (in the tank or in the lines up to the lift pump) or the lift pump itself. When my 751 lift pump (internal to the injector pump, unfortunately) went bad, the diagnosis was done by pumping on the bulb. When the engine speed increased, that was the indicator the lift pump was failing. And it did finally fail completely. :) ---RC
If not fuel delivery than a Run /Kill solinoid issue

OldMachinist

If not fuel delivery than a Run /Kill solinoid issue
The original poster double posted this problem. He posted it in the shop talk catagory and I advised him to use some Diesel 911 additive and he responded back that it worked.

Latest posts