cracked boom

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slewpumper

After a closer inspection of my 1995 873 I have noticed both boom arms have a slight crack in them. The cracks are only about 1 inch long and you have to look really close to see them. Is this a sign the machine has been worked hard or abused? The rest of the machine looks nice for a 1995. Hours is 1800 and was used for snow removal with a snow blower and also some roofing work. Should this be welded asap?

Tazza

Staff member
Where are the cracks? where the lift rams attach to the arms?
Its normal to crack at this point, there is a lot of stress on that point.
You should get it welded as soon as you can, it will take a while for it to get worse, but its best to get fixed asap. Make sure the crack is gouged out before being re-welded, if its not gouged the weld will just weld the top bit and not penetrate rite through the steel. It will look like its fixed, but it will re-crack if not done correctly. Make sure its welded underneath too if its cracked. The most stress is applied to the underside of the lift arm so it must be welded too, not just the sides.
I repaired a set of arms on a 743 that i actually gouged the crack out and put 2 pieces of 1/4" steel plate inside the arm and welded it in for more strength. So far its holding up very well.

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

Where are the cracks? where the lift rams attach to the arms?
Its normal to crack at this point, there is a lot of stress on that point.
You should get it welded as soon as you can, it will take a while for it to get worse, but its best to get fixed asap. Make sure the crack is gouged out before being re-welded, if its not gouged the weld will just weld the top bit and not penetrate rite through the steel. It will look like its fixed, but it will re-crack if not done correctly. Make sure its welded underneath too if its cracked. The most stress is applied to the underside of the lift arm so it must be welded too, not just the sides.
I repaired a set of arms on a 743 that i actually gouged the crack out and put 2 pieces of 1/4" steel plate inside the arm and welded it in for more strength. So far its holding up very well.
Thanks Tazza, yes the booms are cracked where the lift rams attach to the arms. I will get them welded asap. Thanks again.