Crack in gear pump on Scat Trak 1350 - repair or replace?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

milkdemcows

Hi everyone, I've had a Koehring Scat Trak 1350 for a little over a year now. Wound up having to replace the engine last year shortly after purchasing it (previous owners had replaced the head, but seemed to have done a shoddy job with it which either didn't fix the problem they intended or caused the engine to fail themselves).
It now has a pretty significant hydraulic leak, it seems to be from a crack in the pump located below the seat (in image). Hydraulic oil will squirt out when I call for oil when pushing the foot pedals towards me, but doesn't leak (not visibly anyway) when they're neutral or forward (presumably because weight/gravity is lowering the boom or bucket?). The crack seems to be near the lower-left bolt head - at first I thought it was the bolt that was faulty or not tightened, but I removed the bolt, ran the skid steer, and then saw that the jet of oil wasn't coming from within the bolt hole, just near it.
What I'm wondering first, are cracks like this able to be repaired (welder etc)? Or instead of trying that do I need to just locate a replacement pump? I did contact Thomas, and they said this was not one of the machines they manufactured; hopefully Volvo folks could locate the correct part? Also, I think the leak has been there since I got it, though much smaller at first, as there's always been a bit of oil on the ground after parking it; it's only very recently though that it has begun squirting oil during operation.
uc

SkidRoe

While it is possible to get it welded, if it is a machine that you need rely on daily, pump replacement would be advised, assuming the pump is available.
Cheers - SR

Tazza

Staff member
While it is possible to get it welded, if it is a machine that you need rely on daily, pump replacement would be advised, assuming the pump is available.
Cheers - SR
If it is cracked, you really will need to replace it. If it's an Oring that seals between the pump segments, that can be fixed.
Welding can work for a time, but never seem to stay taht way.
Try loader parts source, they can hopefully get you a pump.

bobkat843

I worked on a similar machine .like mentioned above loader parts has replacement pumps for the machine at a decent price