counter weights

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobo

Hi guys,just wondering if the counter weights came with the 632 or are they an option. also do they come in different weights.Thanks

tsanders

Not sure on the weight of them but they are an option.
counter weights on back of a bobcat can make it very hard to go uphill and keep the front down. you would probably do better to put fluid in tires. just curious as to why you want more weight.

OP
OP
B

bobo

counter weights on back of a bobcat can make it very hard to go uphill and keep the front down. you would probably do better to put fluid in tires. just curious as to why you want more weight.
I had bought the machine with the weight underneath.I have'nt seen any machines with this setup.The owner before me used the machine in wet sand....i guess that stuff can be very heavy.Thanks

OP
OP
B

bobo

I had bought the machine with the weight underneath.I have'nt seen any machines with this setup.The owner before me used the machine in wet sand....i guess that stuff can be very heavy.Thanks
Just a question....what would be involved in filling the tires with fluid.To my understanding its some kind of sodium solution?Can a tire shop perform this?

mllud

Just a question....what would be involved in filling the tires with fluid.To my understanding its some kind of sodium solution?Can a tire shop perform this?
Any place that does tractor tires can fill them.It will rust wheels. Corosive. I guess that not a problem unles it leaks.

Butters

Any place that does tractor tires can fill them.It will rust wheels. Corosive. I guess that not a problem unles it leaks.
I thought bobcat tires are tubless, which would allow the calcium chloride solution to eat away at the rim. Farm tractor rear tires have tubes (all that I am famaliar with anyway) that protect the rim.

mllud

I thought bobcat tires are tubless, which would allow the calcium chloride solution to eat away at the rim. Farm tractor rear tires have tubes (all that I am famaliar with anyway) that protect the rim.
I wouldnt use it in mine. Ive had enough problems with using it in tractors. You do have to use it in a tube. If you have a flat its a lot more work to repair. Add weights. Mike

Idoitall

I wouldnt use it in mine. Ive had enough problems with using it in tractors. You do have to use it in a tube. If you have a flat its a lot more work to repair. Add weights. Mike
I have had a medium sized farm tractor for many years. As said, we have always had the rear tires w/tubes filled to help with the traction, but we use common automotive anti-freeze rather than the calcium chloride. You might even use this without a tube.

There is special valve that you screw onto the valve stem (at top of wheel) that allow you to fill the water and also to vent the air to allow the filing process. I have always just used a funnel to add the anti-freeze. Never had a problem using this. We add 1.5-2 gallons per tire and that gives us about -10 F protection.

mllud

I have had a medium sized farm tractor for many years. As said, we have always had the rear tires w/tubes filled to help with the traction, but we use common automotive anti-freeze rather than the calcium chloride. You might even use this without a tube.

There is special valve that you screw onto the valve stem (at top of wheel) that allow you to fill the water and also to vent the air to allow the filing process. I have always just used a funnel to add the anti-freeze. Never had a problem using this. We add 1.5-2 gallons per tire and that gives us about -10 F protection.
That would be better than calcium cloride. That stuff is nasty and destructive.And you wouldnt need a tube with antifreeze.

jerry

That would be better than calcium cloride. That stuff is nasty and destructive.And you wouldnt need a tube with antifreeze.
The tractor valve stem is a two part deal and you remove the outer air valve to put in the fluid. A lot of people are using antifreeze now instead of chloride, with chloride by the time you realize you have slow leak you have ruined the rim. For the average person just using the machine at home mostly would there be much advantage in more weight? I put chains on the back of the 632 for snow but otherwise it doesn't need more weight although tracks would be nice in the wet areas of the woods.

Idoitall

The tractor valve stem is a two part deal and you remove the outer air valve to put in the fluid. A lot of people are using antifreeze now instead of chloride, with chloride by the time you realize you have slow leak you have ruined the rim. For the average person just using the machine at home mostly would there be much advantage in more weight? I put chains on the back of the 632 for snow but otherwise it doesn't need more weight although tracks would be nice in the wet areas of the woods.
Here's a link to the valve you'll need. They are easy to use, just be sure to have the stem at the top of the wheel so the air can vent out as you fill. You remove the stem valve, add the AF, then the water, replace the stem valve and then add air pressure to desired psig. One gallon of water weighs approx. 8.25 lb, so a full tire would add significant weight.
Keep in mind that this may result in a rougher ride on a skidsteer, like solid or foam filled tires.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/AQF1/Quick-Fill-Tractor-Tire-Attachment

mllud

That extra weight may cause more ruts.For traction your only going to gain on hard surfaces where you arent going to break traction.Extra weight wont keep you from spinning in mud.I thought he was interested in weight for added lifting capacity. Im not sure what he is looking for.
Idiotall thanks for the link. I may do that to my tractor Mike

Idoitall

That extra weight may cause more ruts.For traction your only going to gain on hard surfaces where you arent going to break traction.Extra weight wont keep you from spinning in mud.I thought he was interested in weight for added lifting capacity. Im not sure what he is looking for.
Idiotall thanks for the link. I may do that to my tractor Mike
Here's the actual valve that I have used for years. Sorry for the other link.
Also, when I have to refill a tire again, I'm going to try using a small pump sprayer to push the AF in. It can get a little messy while filling and the air bubbling back out through the funnel.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/7K/Air-Liquid-Adapter-Kit

mllud

Here's the actual valve that I have used for years. Sorry for the other link.
Also, when I have to refill a tire again, I'm going to try using a small pump sprayer to push the AF in. It can get a little messy while filling and the air bubbling back out through the funnel.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/7K/Air-Liquid-Adapter-Kit
I went to the link. Looks good. thats a small hole to get fluid in and let air out. I would amagin patience is key. Mike

I went to the link. Looks good. thats a small hole to get fluid in and let air out. I would amagin patience is key. Mike
Just take a hand bike pump and fill it with a/f then pump it in should take care of the mess and speed things up

Latest posts