coolant

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcatgrant

I wanna put a frost plug heater in my 753 g (Kubota). Manual says use only propeleyne (sp) glycol coolant. Went to auto supply house and asked them for it and they looked at me like I was crazy and never heard of it, but they had the diesel stuff, just not prop. gyl. Is there a need for it or should I just drain it all and put the stuff they had in or what ?

SkidRoe

Propylene glycol is an environmentally friendly anti-freeze alternative to ethylene glycol. The main commercial use is RV antifreeze, as it is non toxic.
Propylene glycol engine coolant is available, and is typically used in applications where toxic coolant spills cannot be tolerated i.e. the food industry.
I see no reason why you could not regular diesel grade ethylene glycol anti freeze in your engine. That's what we run in our 773, and it is the same engine.
HTH - SR

Tazza

Staff member
Propylene glycol is an environmentally friendly anti-freeze alternative to ethylene glycol. The main commercial use is RV antifreeze, as it is non toxic.
Propylene glycol engine coolant is available, and is typically used in applications where toxic coolant spills cannot be tolerated i.e. the food industry.
I see no reason why you could not regular diesel grade ethylene glycol anti freeze in your engine. That's what we run in our 773, and it is the same engine.
HTH - SR
They don't want you to mix it, if you clean out what's in there now, there is no issue running whatever you desire. If you mix, the two can react and go like mud.
I run whatever coolant my auto supply store has.

OP
OP
B

bobcatgrant

They don't want you to mix it, if you clean out what's in there now, there is no issue running whatever you desire. If you mix, the two can react and go like mud.
I run whatever coolant my auto supply store has.
thanks guys

Rental stop

thanks guys
Bobcat dealers sell propylene glycol. Their own version is purple. Looks a little darker in the rad and overflow bottle. I just bought propylene glycol at the local Napa store. They got it from their warehouse. Prestone Low Tox or Sierra are the most common commercially available versions. The Seirra is green but it's the right stuff.