cold start Perkins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xcmark

I have a perkins 1004 in my JCB skid steer that is a 92 hp turbo motor that is hard starting. It has a fresh interstate group 31 , good battery cables and clean connections. I have check the cables for hot spots after cranking it for 10 seconds , tried putting the charger on it 15 mins before trying to start it . Nothing seams to make any differance it just turns over slow below 15*f. It will fire up no problem at 20*f but its like a light switch once it gets colder , slow crank and smoke out exhaust. The motor is in good shape , it has 1850 hrs on it and almost zero blow by , no smoke out of the pipe running idle or full speed under load. Also i dont see any glow plugs on the motor is this a option? Rotela 15-40 motor oil and 10-30 hydrolic oil 2003 JCB 1110T skid steer Perkins 1004 AK motor , 92 hp

jerry

I think if you switch to synthetic engine oil it would solve the problem. I see 5-40 rotella synthetic for $19 a gallon at walmart probably about the cheapest way to get it to turn over easy. I have synthetic in all the engines except the lawnmower and have never had any problem because of it. There is quite a difference between 10-30 and 10-40 at even 30* I noticed that the other day when I changed chain case oil and had some 10-40 I put in also.

Latest posts