cleaning out under the 863

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

trotter

This should generate a few comments like "why would you" but I will ask anyway. While replacing the starter on my 863F this week, I was noticing the amount of crud and dirt in the engine compartment. Mostly under the engine. I tipped the cab and saw that under the unit is loaded with dirt old oil and crud. As I have a industrial hot water power washer, I was wondering if anyone every blasts out the dirt and curd from under the workings. If so, where does the water and crap drain out? In the back by the access for the case drains? I assume no one would ever drop the belly pan as it must be very heavy. Just curious.

Bobcatdan

I pressure wash the inside of every skidsteer I work on. Remove all side panels. There are two small drain holes on the bottom, one on each side behind the back wheels. They will be a constant battle to keep clear because they will continue to plug up as you force more crap threw them. Depending on how dirty and how clean you want, be prepared for several hours of washing.

OP
OP
T

trotter

I pressure wash the inside of every skidsteer I work on. Remove all side panels. There are two small drain holes on the bottom, one on each side behind the back wheels. They will be a constant battle to keep clear because they will continue to plug up as you force more crap threw them. Depending on how dirty and how clean you want, be prepared for several hours of washing.
Thank you Bobcatdan

OP
OP
T

trotter

Why would you? more like why wouldn't you. A clean machine is a happy machine.
Easier to find leaks when it's clean too.
congrats Tazza. thanks for the reaffirmation. I power wash all my equipment but have not ever cleaned out under the bottom pan. When I tipped the cab to change a Hyd filter, I noticed that underneath was pretty gunned up. Was not sure where the crud would drain to from underneath.

Tazza

Staff member
congrats Tazza. thanks for the reaffirmation. I power wash all my equipment but have not ever cleaned out under the bottom pan. When I tipped the cab to change a Hyd filter, I noticed that underneath was pretty gunned up. Was not sure where the crud would drain to from underneath.
There should be access plate under the machine to allow the crud to wash out. When full of dirt/oil it can be a challenge to find them.

mmsllc

There should be access plate under the machine to allow the crud to wash out. When full of dirt/oil it can be a challenge to find them.
I bought a 751 machine for cheap. It was used by concrete company. This thing had rock hard concrete everywhere inside & out. I've had to chisel out the front openings where the cleans out are. Under the cab on the left side by the travel / drive motor, there is about 6" of rock hard concrete. This stuff is close to impossible to clean out without a complete tear down & reconditioning. Does anyone here know how to remove set up concrete from the inside of these machines??

Tazza

Staff member
I bought a 751 machine for cheap. It was used by concrete company. This thing had rock hard concrete everywhere inside & out. I've had to chisel out the front openings where the cleans out are. Under the cab on the left side by the travel / drive motor, there is about 6" of rock hard concrete. This stuff is close to impossible to clean out without a complete tear down & reconditioning. Does anyone here know how to remove set up concrete from the inside of these machines??
Sadly the only thing I can think of is acid...... Hydrochloric acid will dissolve the concrete, and eat away the rust. The trick will be neutralizing the acid and giving it a coat of paint before it starts to rust again. I have done this on a rusty machine before, it wasn't easy to wash the acid off and get paint back on it before it started to rust again (only very light surface rust).
Good luck with the clean up, piccies would be great to see how you go,

mmsllc

Sadly the only thing I can think of is acid...... Hydrochloric acid will dissolve the concrete, and eat away the rust. The trick will be neutralizing the acid and giving it a coat of paint before it starts to rust again. I have done this on a rusty machine before, it wasn't easy to wash the acid off and get paint back on it before it started to rust again (only very light surface rust).
Good luck with the clean up, piccies would be great to see how you go,
I'm pretty sure you are right. I can't imagine taking this thing all apart (just to clean it up), as it runs so good. I might try using the chemical that the concrete "ready-mix" truck drivers use. I don't know what it is called, but it washed concrete dust off finished surfaces easily, without damaging the paint below. I need more info on that truck wash chemical.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm pretty sure you are right. I can't imagine taking this thing all apart (just to clean it up), as it runs so good. I might try using the chemical that the concrete "ready-mix" truck drivers use. I don't know what it is called, but it washed concrete dust off finished surfaces easily, without damaging the paint below. I need more info on that truck wash chemical.
It may be able to remove small amounts, I wonder how it will go with years worth of build up. Either way, it will be interesting seeing how it goes.

lesgawlik

It may be able to remove small amounts, I wonder how it will go with years worth of build up. Either way, it will be interesting seeing how it goes.
My machine was owned by a concrete company. When I got it, I wanted to spruce it up a little and remove the spatter. There are some enzymatic cleaners in spray bottles that claim to remove concrete. They might, but if so require much more patience and effort than I was willing to put in it. If the machine has concrete built up in the pan, if you can get to it I think the only way to remove it would be with a hammer drill, or the equivalent. I don't think there is any chemical means to do it.

mmsllc

My machine was owned by a concrete company. When I got it, I wanted to spruce it up a little and remove the spatter. There are some enzymatic cleaners in spray bottles that claim to remove concrete. They might, but if so require much more patience and effort than I was willing to put in it. If the machine has concrete built up in the pan, if you can get to it I think the only way to remove it would be with a hammer drill, or the equivalent. I don't think there is any chemical means to do it.
Its ironic where the concrete has accumulated is on the left side of the lower pan right by the travel motor. On the other / right side, there is far less build up. Over there was a substantial hydraulic fluid leak from the loader control valve seals leaking badly. I am wondering if the hydraulic fluid has loosened or somewhat dissolved the concrete. I've never seen concrete like this before. I am thinking that this machine was operated in a cement / concrete plant where it was made & just sat in some super fine piles of this concrete. It is very strange to see the previous owner neglect it as badly as he did. I understand wasting money too a certain point, but this was a wake up call for me. I'm still kind of shocked at its condition.