Checking oil pressure

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sx700r

Do I need to use an oil pressure gauge to check my oil pressure? Will a regular air pressure gauge work? Or one for hydronic systems?

mark18mwm

If you are looking to just check it once maybe try to borrow one from someone who works on cars/ equipment and might have one laying around. If you want one to bolt on permanently pick one up at a auto parts store they are pretty cheap, i would guess between $15-$30 bucks (U.S.). I would think they cost about the same as a air gauge and, a air gauge or boiler gauge will most likely start leaking after time as the oil will probably eat up the rubber seals in the gauge.

SkidRoe

Assuming you are talking engine oil pressure, correct? Not auxiliary hydraulic oil pressure?
For engine oil pressure, I would use a gauge that has a full range of at least 90 psi to get an accurate reading.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
sx700r

sx700r

Assuming you are talking engine oil pressure, correct? Not auxiliary hydraulic oil pressure?
For engine oil pressure, I would use a gauge that has a full range of at least 90 psi to get an accurate reading.
HTH - SR
ok, found a 0-100 lb oil pressure gauge, but the adaptor threads look a bit more fine than the Bobcat sender threads. Anyone know the bolt/thread size for the sender unit? The sender is a little loose in a 10MM by 1.0 nut.

Bobcatdan

ok, found a 0-100 lb oil pressure gauge, but the adaptor threads look a bit more fine than the Bobcat sender threads. Anyone know the bolt/thread size for the sender unit? The sender is a little loose in a 10MM by 1.0 nut.
I think its 1/8 pipe thread. Either way, its a tapered pipe thread. A grease gun hose will most likely thread in.

7LBSSMALLIE

I think its 1/8 pipe thread. Either way, its a tapered pipe thread. A grease gun hose will most likely thread in.
just a guess? getting l0w oil press codes. so yes verify with a manual guage. probally abad sender.9 outa ten. times.NOTE.. sevral senders work off same 8 volt supply.

mmsllc

just a guess? getting l0w oil press codes. so yes verify with a manual guage. probally abad sender.9 outa ten. times.NOTE.. sevral senders work off same 8 volt supply.
I am curious as to the point is WHY you would need / want to check the pressure. Engine oil pressure testing is a good idea to check when engine problems arise. You should use a HYDRAULIC gauge when checking HYDRAULIC pressures. Engine oil is a fluid which is pressurized. So a good gauge that reaches 100 PSI is ideal. AS for what fitting to use, just pull the engine oil pressure sensor out & match it up at a shop that specializes in making hydraulic hoses. Tell them what you want to do & they will be able to make it happen. Then check you oil pressure with the engine COLD & again once it fully WARMS UP! Let us know what you get from this test.

Latest posts