Cat tracked loaders are over priced junk

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

Today I worked on a Cat 287B tracking system , I would not own one , it started off changing tracks , I didn't see machine before hand and took their word that all it needed was tracks , Cat wants $3800 each for their tacks so that is $8,400 , found a set of Taji ( which I have had good luck with on Bobcats ) for $3,800 with the freight and taxes included , good deal so far , took the tracks off and both adjusted turnbuckles were rusted beyond use , 2 turnbuckles @$180 each , every roller and idler rubber destroyed and bearings bad , broke off 3 of the squirrel cage adjustment bolts , got the price on the rollers from Cat $1,050 times 4 for front and back idlers, $750 each for 10 boogie rollers , so Cat come up with a price of $12,500 plus tax and freight , if you add in their tracks it comes out to around $23,000 , the machine ain't worth that , searched the internet and can save $250 per idler asssembly and $150 per roller assembly , still exceeds what the machine would be worth ------- I concluded that the Cat tracking system is over priced junk , talked them into throwing the new tracks over the bunk rollers and going look at the new Kubota or Takeuchi

Bobcatdan

The ASV system is awesome when operational, but the overall short life of the set up is pathetic. I have heard many people say the cats are flat out too big for the undercarrige which shortens their life even more. It doesn't help that cat has some of the best prices in town!

7LBSSMALLIE

The ASV system is awesome when operational, but the overall short life of the set up is pathetic. I have heard many people say the cats are flat out too big for the undercarrige which shortens their life even more. It doesn't help that cat has some of the best prices in town!
good input, i wondered about the life of these. i can honestly say as a 15 yr bobcat tech, 7 at case 4 at jd, that in the bobcat world our under carrige is holding its own yes tracks wear out, drive motors have had their issues but reducing maint interval to 500 has greatly reduced this,(failure has always been outer hub) as far as rollers go no issues, track adjusters a seal kit now and again but rare any more, frt idler same . rear sprocket wear always seems to come from running worn out tracks, as an operator there are things you can do to prevent track wear,tips 70% more wear in rev than foward , dont skid it plan turns (dozer guys know this) clean and adjust tension,periodaccly. these tips will serve you well in longetivy