Case drain filter...I can only find one in my S130

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hipwr223

Hi fellas I am new here and I would like to ask the experts. I lifted up the cab of my "new to me" 2005 S130 to find all the important stuff I might need and looking for the case drain filters I can only find the left side. There appears to be NO right side filter in there, where it should be is pretty obvious by the owners manual, but it looks like a hose right from the hydro resevoir to the next connection(not sure yet what the part is). Should my 2005 have both? and why would someone bypass it with a plain hose? Also that whole area is covered in a thick layer of gunk I can only assume it is hydrostatic fluid from a leak at some point, it does not seem to leak now though as the level has stayed the same for the 20+ hours I have used it. I have done all the other fluid/filter changes and would like to change out those case drain filters too, the dealer gave me two of them so I am pretty sure they should be there. any insight?

Tazza

Staff member
I don't own an S130 but there should be one on a drive motor the other is usually under the oil reserve tank. Its not on the other motor like you'd expect it to be....

OP
OP
H

hipwr223

I don't own an S130 but there should be one on a drive motor the other is usually under the oil reserve tank. Its not on the other motor like you'd expect it to be....
Yeah I can not find one under the oil reserve tank anywhere. It almost looks like someone bypassed it and just ran a hose. Should that whole area under there be greasy or is that indicative of a leak? Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah I can not find one under the oil reserve tank anywhere. It almost looks like someone bypassed it and just ran a hose. Should that whole area under there be greasy or is that indicative of a leak? Thanks.
It shouldn't be greasy, but it could be oil from when someone filled the tank and spilled oil?
I'd give it a de-grease and wash it all down. Check for wet spots in a few days then you know where to start looking if its a leak.

OP
OP
H

hipwr223

It shouldn't be greasy, but it could be oil from when someone filled the tank and spilled oil?
I'd give it a de-grease and wash it all down. Check for wet spots in a few days then you know where to start looking if its a leak.
I think that is good advice and a nice weekend project for me. I just ordered a service manual on ebay for it and I hope it gives me better details than the owners manual does regarding these case drain filters. If for some reason the right side filter was by passed I am gonna have to figure out why, then get the correct hoses to re configure it.

OP
OP
H

hipwr223

I think that is good advice and a nice weekend project for me. I just ordered a service manual on ebay for it and I hope it gives me better details than the owners manual does regarding these case drain filters. If for some reason the right side filter was by passed I am gonna have to figure out why, then get the correct hoses to re configure it.
just a thought but the breather cap was pretty loose, I wonder if fluid could have been boubcing out of there and running down?

Tazza

Staff member
just a thought but the breather cap was pretty loose, I wonder if fluid could have been boubcing out of there and running down?
Its possible, but if oil got that high it would have soaked the filter material around the filling port too. I'd give it a clean first, see if any oil appears. Its hard to find the source when its all caked up with crud.

OP
OP
H

hipwr223

Its possible, but if oil got that high it would have soaked the filter material around the filling port too. I'd give it a clean first, see if any oil appears. Its hard to find the source when its all caked up with crud.
well looking close it appears the previous owner put a hose there with no filter. My guess is he had a leak and make a quick fix to keep it running but never did the right thing. I can only hope there is not too many hours on that machine without the filter in place.

skidsteer.ca

well looking close it appears the previous owner put a hose there with no filter. My guess is he had a leak and make a quick fix to keep it running but never did the right thing. I can only hope there is not too many hours on that machine without the filter in place.
There is a bit of controversy about the case drain filter anyway. They are there to filter the small amount of oil that comes out the drain. If the filter gets plugged it will take out your motor seal.The older machines never had them at.
It would be best if the case drain lines had a restriction indicator to show if the filter was beginning to hold back any pressure. Of couse keeping them clean is a good idea.
Ken

OP
OP
H

hipwr223

There is a bit of controversy about the case drain filter anyway. They are there to filter the small amount of oil that comes out the drain. If the filter gets plugged it will take out your motor seal.The older machines never had them at.
It would be best if the case drain lines had a restriction indicator to show if the filter was beginning to hold back any pressure. Of couse keeping them clean is a good idea.
Ken
Interesting. I opened the one case drain filter and it looked clean as can be so i simply cleaned it off and stuck it back in. I think what concerns me more than the other filter not being there is the fact that the picture on the Operation/Maintenance book shows stuff under the seat in somewhat different positions than what is under mine. In fact the picture looks to have more hoses coming out of the Hydaulic reserve tank than what mine actually does. This confuses me?

OP
OP
H

hipwr223

Interesting. I opened the one case drain filter and it looked clean as can be so i simply cleaned it off and stuck it back in. I think what concerns me more than the other filter not being there is the fact that the picture on the Operation/Maintenance book shows stuff under the seat in somewhat different positions than what is under mine. In fact the picture looks to have more hoses coming out of the Hydaulic reserve tank than what mine actually does. This confuses me?
maybe I am answering my own question but auxillary hydros like the bobtach or the rear auxillary couplings would mean more hoses coming out of the tank no?

skidsteer.ca

The could be duo to options, like bucket leveling, rear aux or different serial number breaks.
I have rinsed mine in varsol b4, if you start finding metal in them you have motor problems, So far (2200 hours) mine have stayed spotless.
Ken