Case 420 Series 3 wont start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jgoldsney

I purchased a Case 430 skidsteer with only 220 hrs on it thinking that with the low hrs as long as i did my maintenance I should be trouble free.....well no such luck Purchased unit in January, brought it home and used it to clear a path to the storage area. Shut it down and tarped it. Worked flawlessly... I went to start it up this weekend (in March) and no luck. The starter clicks and it appears to try and turn over the engine but the engine won't turn over. At first it just appeared that the battery was low so I tried to boost it and no difference. It seems as if either something on the hydraulics is engaged or the engine is hydrolocked. The oil looks clean and the coolant was good to -45 Left a trickle charger on the battery to make sure it was topped up and the hour meter has jumped from 222 to 877 in a day. I have checked all the fuses and replaced a blown fuse for the dome light and one for the washer pump but can't see how these would have made a difference. Any tips/tricks? Thanks in advance....

Tazza

Staff member
I'd start by turning the engine over at least 2 turns with a bar/socket whatever you can use to get it over. If it does rotate, it's not hydro locked and time to check the battery and starter.
Sounds like the wiring is odd, the hour meter shouldn't keep turning over with the key off.

OP
OP
J

jgoldsney

I'd start by turning the engine over at least 2 turns with a bar/socket whatever you can use to get it over. If it does rotate, it's not hydro locked and time to check the battery and starter.
Sounds like the wiring is odd, the hour meter shouldn't keep turning over with the key off.
Well no luck....engine appears to be seized. I was unable to turn over the engine at all. moved about 1/4" and then nothin. Having it towed to the dealer for repair. Dealer said the jumping Hr mtr was caused by trying to start and drawing the voltage down on the battery to 0 repeatedly. They will reset the hr mtr when it is repaired.

Tazza

Staff member
Well no luck....engine appears to be seized. I was unable to turn over the engine at all. moved about 1/4" and then nothin. Having it towed to the dealer for repair. Dealer said the jumping Hr mtr was caused by trying to start and drawing the voltage down on the battery to 0 repeatedly. They will reset the hr mtr when it is repaired.
Hopefully it won't be too costly of a repair.