Case 1835C - But General Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kvaerner

Hi, New to the site and new to skidsteers, so looking for a little advise... Locally (Calgary), there is the above skid for sale, 1990 1400hrs....looks in nice condition a lightly used... My intended use is around the acreage, not building work as such, but I would like the ability to add and auger or other like attachments....to this point I don't understand where the Aux Hyd comes into play as i know this model doesn't have anything like that. I also hear allot of people talking that they would choose a lesser Diesel model over Gas...is this something I need to consider. Thx in advance to all for any guidance...

frogfarmer

You didnt give your price range and that can be a determining factor. The gas motors start great in the cold but dont last as long and use more fuel. Aux Hyd are very useful with attachments and I would not consider a machine without. The older 743s from Bobcat are plentiful and should be in the same price range. They are great machines and parts support is still easily available. They had Kubota diesels and aux hyds. Unless the price is too good to pass up I would keep looking. Many manufacturers have good older units I just choose BC for my example.

OP
OP
K

kvaerner

You didnt give your price range and that can be a determining factor. The gas motors start great in the cold but dont last as long and use more fuel. Aux Hyd are very useful with attachments and I would not consider a machine without. The older 743s from Bobcat are plentiful and should be in the same price range. They are great machines and parts support is still easily available. They had Kubota diesels and aux hyds. Unless the price is too good to pass up I would keep looking. Many manufacturers have good older units I just choose BC for my example.
Thx for the quick reply Frog. The price is currently at 9.5k http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-Case-1835C-Skid-Steer-Uni-Loader-Skidsteer-Bobcat-W0QQAdIdZ232303515# I have been to a few auctions etc...but all seems to be above my budget of 10k (11k at a push) or are pretty old and worked hard from the looks of things...and TBH, the old Bobcats seem to always be in excess of 10k here in Calgary...might get a smoker for sub 10k. I get what your saying about the 2 engines...wondering if for acreage use if this should be a factor? - certainly worth a consideration, so thx for the insight. So just to clear up, if it doesn't have Aux Hyd then I couldn't change out the bucket for say, an auger? cheers again

OP
OP
K

kvaerner

Thx for the quick reply Frog. The price is currently at 9.5k http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-Case-1835C-Skid-Steer-Uni-Loader-Skidsteer-Bobcat-W0QQAdIdZ232303515# I have been to a few auctions etc...but all seems to be above my budget of 10k (11k at a push) or are pretty old and worked hard from the looks of things...and TBH, the old Bobcats seem to always be in excess of 10k here in Calgary...might get a smoker for sub 10k. I get what your saying about the 2 engines...wondering if for acreage use if this should be a factor? - certainly worth a consideration, so thx for the insight. So just to clear up, if it doesn't have Aux Hyd then I couldn't change out the bucket for say, an auger? cheers again
Best I can find by way of comparison http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-1999-753-BOBCAT-KUBOTA-DEISEL-W0QQAdIdZ233403655# Would this be a general preference even giving the difference in price...I noticed on the Case that the age is 1990 and not 98 as stated.

Tazza

Staff member
Best I can find by way of comparison http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-1999-753-BOBCAT-KUBOTA-DEISEL-W0QQAdIdZ233403655# Would this be a general preference even giving the difference in price...I noticed on the Case that the age is 1990 and not 98 as stated.
The 753 does look nice, but its out of your price range. Keep looking, a 753 or older 743 would be a good machine. Parts are easily bought, i'm not sure how the availability of parts for older case machines is.

frogfarmer

The 753 does look nice, but its out of your price range. Keep looking, a 753 or older 743 would be a good machine. Parts are easily bought, i'm not sure how the availability of parts for older case machines is.
I agree with Tazza keep looking. I just sold a 2000 773g for $9500 it had 1800 hours and was in great shape. The bad is the tires were almost bald and it spent the first 1700 hours in the salt. I got all the scale off the unit and gave it some paint it looked good but you could tell where the rust had been. This machine would be a solid machine for everyday use and had a few thousand hours left in it. Even at $9500 my profit was very good. Machines that will fit your needs are out there in the $6000 range. The 743s, 753s, and an ocassional 763 in decent shape will sell for less than 10k. I havent had problems getting Case parts but I didnt need anything obscure. Bobcat is very good about parts availability and product support. Most of the Case machines I deal in (1845c and 1840) are above the 10k mark for a decent machine. Gas engines are OK but almost everything has gone to diesel fuel and that drives the price of the low volume gas rigs way down.

OP
OP
K

kvaerner

I agree with Tazza keep looking. I just sold a 2000 773g for $9500 it had 1800 hours and was in great shape. The bad is the tires were almost bald and it spent the first 1700 hours in the salt. I got all the scale off the unit and gave it some paint it looked good but you could tell where the rust had been. This machine would be a solid machine for everyday use and had a few thousand hours left in it. Even at $9500 my profit was very good. Machines that will fit your needs are out there in the $6000 range. The 743s, 753s, and an ocassional 763 in decent shape will sell for less than 10k. I havent had problems getting Case parts but I didnt need anything obscure. Bobcat is very good about parts availability and product support. Most of the Case machines I deal in (1845c and 1840) are above the 10k mark for a decent machine. Gas engines are OK but almost everything has gone to diesel fuel and that drives the price of the low volume gas rigs way down.
Thx for the reply Taz and Frog...good info. I get what your saying and will follow your advise, guess the only issue I have is finding these ellusive Bobcats for that money...I take it you are US based? - Seems they are cheaper down there as I honestly can't find anything under 10k let alone in the $6k's... I wonder if they are importable..might be a consideration. Thx for all your help guys.

frogfarmer

Thx for the reply Taz and Frog...good info. I get what your saying and will follow your advise, guess the only issue I have is finding these ellusive Bobcats for that money...I take it you are US based? - Seems they are cheaper down there as I honestly can't find anything under 10k let alone in the $6k's... I wonder if they are importable..might be a consideration. Thx for all your help guys.
I am US based and located in the midwest I believe Tazza is located "down under"; from what I see at auction and general knowledge on the site the two markets are similar. I would still expect the numbers to be close even though your across the northern border. Happy Hunting!

Tazza

Staff member
I am US based and located in the midwest I believe Tazza is located "down under"; from what I see at auction and general knowledge on the site the two markets are similar. I would still expect the numbers to be close even though your across the northern border. Happy Hunting!
Yeah, i'm from .au
if you look for long enough, you will find a good priced machine. Even visiting the auctions you can get lucky.

OP
OP
K

kvaerner

Yeah, i'm from .au
if you look for long enough, you will find a good priced machine. Even visiting the auctions you can get lucky.
I will keep on hunting the beast until it turns up. Thx again for your time....One last Q tho - For an auger bit or similar I will need external Hyd ?

frogfarmer

I will keep on hunting the beast until it turns up. Thx again for your time....One last Q tho - For an auger bit or similar I will need external Hyd ?
To run an auger you will need aux hyd. Most units have the option due to the large number of hydraulic driven attachments. You will find far less that are not equipped with the aux hyd.

Tazza

Staff member
To run an auger you will need aux hyd. Most units have the option due to the large number of hydraulic driven attachments. You will find far less that are not equipped with the aux hyd.
Any newer machine will have aux hydraulics.
I assume you don't want to run any high HP attachments? if so, you will need hi flow, but an auger doesn't need it.

coreya3212

Any newer machine will have aux hydraulics.
I assume you don't want to run any high HP attachments? if so, you will need hi flow, but an auger doesn't need it.
I live just south of Calgary, bout 5 min, and I can assure everyone, you will not be getting a skid steer with a engine and pump for 6K. the original poster is right, 10 K for a machine is really the basement, it is very rare to find anything under the 10 K range in Alberta. Good luck in your search, once you find one you wont believe you could have lived without one.

OP
OP
K

kvaerner

I live just south of Calgary, bout 5 min, and I can assure everyone, you will not be getting a skid steer with a engine and pump for 6K. the original poster is right, 10 K for a machine is really the basement, it is very rare to find anything under the 10 K range in Alberta. Good luck in your search, once you find one you wont believe you could have lived without one.
Hi Corey, With local experience, does this make the Case more attractive, especially as its under the magic 10k mark compared to others avail...which you testament too them not being avail for the same sort of money? I'd really like to grab one with Ext Hyd to attach other bits in the future maybe, but given the diff in price I do wonder whether its economical given my cr@p budget..or I could plump for the Case or equiv and just get someone in when i needed a hole dug etc. Everyone's advise is greatly appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Corey, With local experience, does this make the Case more attractive, especially as its under the magic 10k mark compared to others avail...which you testament too them not being avail for the same sort of money? I'd really like to grab one with Ext Hyd to attach other bits in the future maybe, but given the diff in price I do wonder whether its economical given my cr@p budget..or I could plump for the Case or equiv and just get someone in when i needed a hole dug etc. Everyone's advise is greatly appreciated.
The problem is, if you get one now thats cheap and turns out to be a dud, you will need to put more money in to get something bettter. I'm not saying the case is a bad machine though, there afe a few out there.
Honestly, get something better so you can do all the work you need to do. It quickly adds up when you need to hire someone to dig holes for you. Its also the fact you can decide on the day you want to do it, you don't have to wait for anyone. Its better to have options.

frogfarmer

The problem is, if you get one now thats cheap and turns out to be a dud, you will need to put more money in to get something bettter. I'm not saying the case is a bad machine though, there afe a few out there.
Honestly, get something better so you can do all the work you need to do. It quickly adds up when you need to hire someone to dig holes for you. Its also the fact you can decide on the day you want to do it, you don't have to wait for anyone. Its better to have options.
I checked for some listings in the north western states and found several units in the 10k range. Problem is I dont buy equipment I cant inspect. You may feel the same way. Importing a machine is relatively easy and cost for delivery is a dollar a loaded mile. After looking for listings I do see there are alot less available up there and that likely drives the price up a bit. I would contact a dealer with what you are looking for and see if they can come up with something; they have a vast network they can access.

OP
OP
K

kvaerner

I checked for some listings in the north western states and found several units in the 10k range. Problem is I dont buy equipment I cant inspect. You may feel the same way. Importing a machine is relatively easy and cost for delivery is a dollar a loaded mile. After looking for listings I do see there are alot less available up there and that likely drives the price up a bit. I would contact a dealer with what you are looking for and see if they can come up with something; they have a vast network they can access.
Yes..I'm thinking this may be the way to go Frog. Thank you for your advise frog and Taz....has helped my decision making

coreya3212

Yes..I'm thinking this may be the way to go Frog. Thank you for your advise frog and Taz....has helped my decision making
I checked out the add and the machine looks in good shape and probably would give lots of life. I would never have one without aux hydraulics. Its just giving up to much versatility. I wouldnt want a gas engine either, I really prefer diesel. i am just about ready to sell my 825, comes with a hydraulic leak....