Case 1835B fuel issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rusty2867

I have a 1835B that I ran the other day for 3 hours steady digging and leveling an area of my friends yard, it ran great the whole time. When I got it home and unloaded it ran fine, then I decided to fix an area in my yard and it bogged down and died! It would start and move a few inches and die again. The fuel filters maybe have 20 hours on them and the fuel tanks were cleaned 2 yrs ago and kept full since. I run a inline clear fuel filter ahead of an electric fuel pump that took the place of the primer and it is clean. I took the timing cover off the injector pump and quite a bit of fuel ran out, turned the motor over and the pump is turning, put the cover back on and the darn thing started up and sounded fine until I got halfway down the street to dump the bucket of dirt I had when it died the first time. Died again and had a heck of a time getting it back to the garage. Ended up pulling that plate again. Any suggestions? Here is a pic of the injector pump where is the screen that I keep hearing about? I took the inlet off and see nothing.

Thanks in advance, Todd

Attachments

• injpump.jpg
    injpump.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
rusty2867

rusty2867

Also I had been having an issue were when I shut off the key it kept running unless I sped up the throttle then backed off real quick

foton

when a diesel does not turn off it is still getting fuel from somewhere, sometimes the turbo (oil) if your has one. but I would think most likely a fuel valve is not closing off well.

Gearclash

The problem of running after the key is shut off has to do with air getting in the fuel system. I would highly recommend adding a lift pump at the floor level of machine to reduce the chance of air ingress, and also to greatly ease bleeding the supply side of the fuel system.

The stalling after a brief run time was most likely caused by the disintegrating flex ring plugging the check ball orifice in the pump leak-off fitting.

PS. I see you have an electric lift pump already. That is good. Case didn't think a separate full time lift pump was needed for these machines and they were wrong.

Bordwell

On my 1840 it was electrical. I just manually hold the pump it open when running, Turn off the key close the pump and it stops running. It opened to start but doesn't stay open (electrical).

Gearclash

The 1840 has a completely different engine and injector pump than the 1835B. By the sound of it, your 1840 has the Bosch "A" pump that was typical on the Cummins 4B equivalent that the 1840 has. The fuel shutoff solenoid used on the A pumps has two coils in it, one is a "pull in" coil that initially pulls the pump fuel shut off lever into the run position, and a second coil to hold it in the run position. The pull in coil is energized only during engine cranking. If the hold in coil is bad, the engine will fire up but quit as soon as the engine cranking circuit is de-energized.