case 1830 no start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

treasure1mic

hey all two questions...... ...case 1830 4-cylinder Renault/continental r-688 engine........ how are the timing marks on the cam and crank supposed to be, currently they are pointing at each other when cylinder 1 is at TDC, i assume this is correct because i cant see any marks on the block to point the two at?............ also wondering about compression and what the motor should have assuming the valves are opening at the correct time?

Tazza

Staff member
Never worked on one, but those timing makrs sound right. Just make sure you roll it over at least two tunrs slowly by hand to make sure nothing touches where it shouldn't.
What is it, petrol or diesel? Diesels should have 4-500 PSI (300 is the lower limit of it being able to start). Petrol, around 120 from memory. The older ones can be lower, but newer seem to be about 90-120

SkidRoe

Never worked on one, but those timing makrs sound right. Just make sure you roll it over at least two tunrs slowly by hand to make sure nothing touches where it shouldn't.
What is it, petrol or diesel? Diesels should have 4-500 PSI (300 is the lower limit of it being able to start). Petrol, around 120 from memory. The older ones can be lower, but newer seem to be about 90-120
Wow, that is one obscure motor! @ Tazza : It is a 30hp gas motor. Case produced these machines between '74 and '80. That is about the only info that you can find on the web.

Hotrod1830

Yes, the timing marks point to each other when correct.. Compression should be around 130. On this engine, number 1 cylinder is on the flywheel side. Firing order is 1-3-4-2. Valve clearance is .005" intake, .008" exhaust.

OP
OP
T

treasure1mic

Yes, the timing marks point to each other when correct.. Compression should be around 130. On this engine, number 1 cylinder is on the flywheel side. Firing order is 1-3-4-2. Valve clearance is .005" intake, .008" exhaust.
hey, its a gas motor converted to propane......, im only getting 65 lbs for compression :( and the vales are all seated well and not sticking, so im assuming i need new piston rings ? i had the firing orer correct then 1342 but ill check the valve clearances, could they affect the compression if incorrect?

Hotrod1830

hey, its a gas motor converted to propane......, im only getting 65 lbs for compression :( and the vales are all seated well and not sticking, so im assuming i need new piston rings ? i had the firing orer correct then 1342 but ill check the valve clearances, could they affect the compression if incorrect?
If the valve clearance is too tight, it can lower compression. If proper valve lash doesnt help, put a little oil in the cylinders and recheck compression. If it is rings, it will go up, if not its valves. you can also do a leakdown test to find out if it is rings and/or valves leaking. Replacing rings on this engine requires pulling the cylinder sleeves. So its best to know for sure. How long has it been since this engine ran?