Carbon Biuldup

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Brentf1965

I have a '79 Bobcat 720 with the Wisconsin engine. The #4 cylinder has 90 psi of compression but has a large buildup of carbon on the spark plug. I R/R the plug, operated the Bobcat for an hour, removed same plug and found it with carbon buildup again. The other cylinders have between 70-90 psi with no buildup. Any thoughts? Remember this is a '79 without a rebuild to my knowledge.

jerry

Do you have the service book? If I remember right in the 610 book it mentioned that there may be carbon buildup and gave a procedure for removing it.

OP
OP
B

Brentf1965

Do you have the service book? If I remember right in the 610 book it mentioned that there may be carbon buildup and gave a procedure for removing it.
I don't have the service manual, but why only one cylinder with carbon buildup?

thynes

I don't have the service manual, but why only one cylinder with carbon buildup?
That cylinder is burning different than the other 3, for some reason. You have tried a new plug, so that is not it. How about the ignition to it? You can swap a plug wire and see if the problem follows the wire. You can do a tune up, wires, cap, rotor, points and see if that helps. You may also want to check the valve lash on that cylinder.

Tazza

Staff member
That cylinder is burning different than the other 3, for some reason. You have tried a new plug, so that is not it. How about the ignition to it? You can swap a plug wire and see if the problem follows the wire. You can do a tune up, wires, cap, rotor, points and see if that helps. You may also want to check the valve lash on that cylinder.
It could be a lead i guess, not giving enough of a spark.
Possibly hotter plugs may help burn it all off.

OP
OP
B

Brentf1965

Sure but lets be hopeful with a bad wire or cracked plug switch both first
I should have been more detailed with my first question. I actually changed out all plugs, all plug wires, points rotor, cap, and coil between checking the plugs the first time and the second time when I still found carbon on plug four.

antfarmer2

I should have been more detailed with my first question. I actually changed out all plugs, all plug wires, points rotor, cap, and coil between checking the plugs the first time and the second time when I still found carbon on plug four.
Can you ajust the valves on it

thynes

Good Question. Does anybody have experience with VH4D Wisconsin?
I just rebuilt a VH4D this year. The valves can be adjusted. This youtube video shows some detail with the valves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-osxPDcOk The intake valve is set to 0.008" and the exhaust to 0.016"

Latest posts