Capping hydraulic hoses

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sunnyboy

When you perform a repair on something like the ram cylinder, what do you use to cap the hydraulic lines to prevent losing too much fluid? Thanks, -R

jmatt20

my hydraulic part supplier has a selection of plastic plugs that thread into the hoses and have the right taper like the fittings .They hold fine for repairs and they keep the fluid in and the dirt out..won't work under pressure...they make metal plug also the will hold up under pressure. they cost about .25 cents ea. i got a bunch in all of the sizes my machine uses and keep the on hand...there reusable so it's a one time purchase, cheep compared to contamination damage..

nobull1

my hydraulic part supplier has a selection of plastic plugs that thread into the hoses and have the right taper like the fittings .They hold fine for repairs and they keep the fluid in and the dirt out..won't work under pressure...they make metal plug also the will hold up under pressure. they cost about .25 cents ea. i got a bunch in all of the sizes my machine uses and keep the on hand...there reusable so it's a one time purchase, cheep compared to contamination damage..
Anyone know what type/size of ends on a 763? This is a good idea for emergency repairs.
Brian

thetool

Anyone know what type/size of ends on a 763? This is a good idea for emergency repairs.
Brian
I KNOW 763 cylinders are JIC, and I strongly believe they are a #6 on the lifts, and a #8 on the tilt.

Fishfiles

I KNOW 763 cylinders are JIC, and I strongly believe they are a #6 on the lifts, and a #8 on the tilt.
the lift cylinders are 8( 1/2) jic , the tilt is 10 ( 5/8)jic , the travel motors are 12 (3/4)jic , there are 6 (3/8)jic hoses on the machine ,and 1 or 2 #4 (1/4/) so 4, 6 , 8 , 10 and 12JIC plugs( male) and caps (female) is what you need , they are more expensive than two bits ( 25 cents) in metal where I go --------------you can save some old hoses and cut the fittings off and weld up the hole

jmatt20

the lift cylinders are 8( 1/2) jic , the tilt is 10 ( 5/8)jic , the travel motors are 12 (3/4)jic , there are 6 (3/8)jic hoses on the machine ,and 1 or 2 #4 (1/4/) so 4, 6 , 8 , 10 and 12JIC plugs( male) and caps (female) is what you need , they are more expensive than two bits ( 25 cents) in metal where I go --------------you can save some old hoses and cut the fittings off and weld up the hole
sorry .25 is for the plastic ones...

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I think I will get a few to have in my truck just in case/when a person has to replace a hose.
Brian
I use old hydraulic fittings that i cut off and weld the end up and use then to cap off the lines, works a treat. I never know what size they are, i just have a selection which naturally is never large enough and run out of the ones i need at the time.
The plactic ones work, but you still get leaks.

Cyclone Ranger

I use old hydraulic fittings that i cut off and weld the end up and use then to cap off the lines, works a treat. I never know what size they are, i just have a selection which naturally is never large enough and run out of the ones i need at the time.
The plactic ones work, but you still get leaks.
Individual metal caps, plugs and o-rings can be purchased here:
http://www.hyd-kits.com/

KevinZidaan

Individual metal caps, plugs and o-rings can be purchased here:
http://www.hyd-kits.com/
We used to take a female hose fitting and braze shut the stub end that goes into the hose to us as caps and take a hose to pipe male/male fitting and put a pipe cap on the pipe thread end for plugging hoses. Not elegent but does the job. make as needed and you end up with quite a collection after awhile. Don't know how price compares to proper plugs and caps. Regards

Latest posts