can i use hydraulic jack oil in bobcat?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

miezu78

1 Gallon of "hydraulic jack oil" 78F from a auto part store. can I use that oil for a Bobcat 450??

Tazza

Staff member
I would say no, hydraulic jack oil is too thin. You need 10w30 or 10w40 oil, like used in car engines. If its too thin, it will damage your hydrostatic system.
I wouldn't risk it, buy the correct fluid.

skidsteer.ca

I would say no, hydraulic jack oil is too thin. You need 10w30 or 10w40 oil, like used in car engines. If its too thin, it will damage your hydrostatic system.
I wouldn't risk it, buy the correct fluid.
Why would you risk doing hundreds to thousands of dollars damage for the sake of $12 worth of oil? Hyd jacks have no high speed moving parts, and a system that generates no heat, it is probly one of the lowest grade oil they can make, it's only requirement is that it thin, so it flow iin a jack that never sees "operating temperature" Ken

OP
OP
M

miezu78

thanks for the response. the bobcat was not mine. and it was low on hydraulic oil. I did have a gallon of hydraulic jack oil but after the response to my thread I went looking for hydraulic oil and compared it to the other oil. and there is a huge difference in consistency. so i used the oil made for skid steer hydraulics.