Can I narrow the width on my 773 Bobcat?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

Good-day SkidSteer people. My question today. Can I narrow the width on my 773 Bobcat? In the specification page of my maintenance manual, the diagram seems to show that this might be possible.Would anyone out there know more about this . I have to work in a tight spot all the time and this would definitely help me out.

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on the rims you have fitted to it now. If they are wide offset you can, if not you can't.
There are rims that mount to the axles about centre in the rim, the others mount about 3/4 of the way to the outside of the rim.
Hopefully some of that makes sense.

SkidRoe

How much are you trying to narrow it by? Like Tazza said, the easiest way to narrow it is by fitting different rims. I believe that I read some where that the bolt pattern on the 8 stud wheels is fairly common between makes, so it is a matter finding a set with a large offset (distance between the centre line of the rim and the rim dish mounting face).

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

How much are you trying to narrow it by? Like Tazza said, the easiest way to narrow it is by fitting different rims. I believe that I read some where that the bolt pattern on the 8 stud wheels is fairly common between makes, so it is a matter finding a set with a large offset (distance between the centre line of the rim and the rim dish mounting face).
The width of my unit is presently 66 in. and I would like to get it down to 48.5 in. like it seems to indicate possible in the maintenance manual. The manual seems to show two versions. Version A: where the width goes from 66 in. to 60 in.. Version B: where the width goes from 54.5in. to 48.5 in.. I probably need the offset rims and shorter axcels to get the results that I am after. Anyone know if that can be done?

SkidRoe

The width of my unit is presently 66 in. and I would like to get it down to 48.5 in. like it seems to indicate possible in the maintenance manual. The manual seems to show two versions. Version A: where the width goes from 66 in. to 60 in.. Version B: where the width goes from 54.5in. to 48.5 in.. I probably need the offset rims and shorter axcels to get the results that I am after. Anyone know if that can be done?
It won't be just shortening the axles, it means shortening the axle tubes too, which are part of the chain case. To be honest, I think you need a smaller machine.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

It won't be just shortening the axles, it means shortening the axle tubes too, which are part of the chain case. To be honest, I think you need a smaller machine.
Ya , that would be a job and a half. So much for that. Thanks for your input.