Can gear box

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TimberBen

I have an 02 t200, has about 3300 hours. My fan gear box has been leaking oil for some time now. Not a bad leak, more of a drip. I know it leaks so I check the oil level before I use the machine. I talked to my mechanic at the dealer when I first noticed the leak. The leak is the seal at the pulley. The mechanic said I should change the gear box as its complicated seperating it. Has anyone changed just the seal? The gear box is expensive compared to a seal and some time. Any input will help. Thanks

Bobcatdan

Oops, I wanted to say Fan gear box in the subject.
The gear box itself isn't a bid deal to reseal. The fan has to come out which if you never removed the fan housing is a little fun. Once the gear box is on the bench, the pulley can be real fun it get off. After that, I'm 99% sure the seal can be popped out and replaced. You want to look at the shaft and make sure it isn't worn from the seal. If it is, you can probably put a speedy sheelve over the bad spot. Make sure the bearing is good also. The gears are kinda fragile, so no beating on shaft during pulley removal. While I wouldn't automatically recommend a new gear box, I see your buddy's point. To go threw all the trouble of removing it, its quicker to put a new one right back in. Also you run the very low chance of it leaking again since it is new.

OP
OP
TimberBen

TimberBen

The gear box itself isn't a bid deal to reseal. The fan has to come out which if you never removed the fan housing is a little fun. Once the gear box is on the bench, the pulley can be real fun it get off. After that, I'm 99% sure the seal can be popped out and replaced. You want to look at the shaft and make sure it isn't worn from the seal. If it is, you can probably put a speedy sheelve over the bad spot. Make sure the bearing is good also. The gears are kinda fragile, so no beating on shaft during pulley removal. While I wouldn't automatically recommend a new gear box, I see your buddy's point. To go threw all the trouble of removing it, its quicker to put a new one right back in. Also you run the very low chance of it leaking again since it is new.
Thanks again Dan. As for now I'll just keep checking and adding fluid. Will the fan have to be removed to change out the gearbox? Once I do change it out ill rebuild the old gearbox and keep it around. As for the oil I'm using 90w. I know bobcat came out with a less expensive oil for the hubs would that be fine for the gearbox? Thanks again.

Bobcatdan

Thanks again Dan. As for now I'll just keep checking and adding fluid. Will the fan have to be removed to change out the gearbox? Once I do change it out ill rebuild the old gearbox and keep it around. As for the oil I'm using 90w. I know bobcat came out with a less expensive oil for the hubs would that be fine for the gearbox? Thanks again.
The gear box takes 80w90.