Camshaft

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Reds Skid Steers

Hello Gurus
I pulled the engine and tore it down. I'm looking at the cam bearings and they look ok. The #1 piston and the #4 Piston had broken rings. If you look at the cam shaft after pulling the pistons out, there are no scratches where the camshaft bearing sit inside of the rocker and ride on the cam. Fingernail test does not catch anything and nothing visible. This is on a Mitsubishi 4G32 engine out of a Bobcat 742B. Approximate year of the skidsteer is between 191 and 1995. Is it CRITICAL that I take out the camshaft and have the cam bearings on each end of the cam replaced. And have the Camshaft done? A mechanic friend said are you going to have this for a lifetime or you going to sell in a couple of years. He said it's up to me to decide. But, he did say if it was his engine he probable wouldn't do it. Hmmm
Thanks

foton

replace everything your budget will allow, just in case you do keep it forever. mains, rod and cam bearings are not that pricey anyway.

OP
OP
R

Reds Skid Steers

Yea, I finally found the gaskets which weren't to hard to find. But the rings, bearings and cam bearings were really tough to find. I finally found them at a company in california. But the oil pump is discontinued. I think I can find a water pump with out much trouble. I'm going to have the starter rebuilt at a shop. The Mitsubishi engine in my skid steer was built in the 70's and parts are getting pretty hard to find.