Cab gas springs on 743.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Luthor

I had to remove one of the gas springs to repair a stripped hole for the fuel tank clamp band and am having real trouble working out how to compress the spring slightly to refit it. Has anyone worked out a way to do this, it needs about 2" to get the pin back in?

Tazza

Staff member
The only way i managed to do it, was at the top of the cab, not from the bottom pivot.
Remove the rubber blocks on the back of the cab to allow it to tip just a little more. I then used a large flat screwdriver to lever the strut arm down and pushed the pin in. Two people make it go much easier! but removing the rubber blocks sure make it easier!!!!

OP
OP
L

Luthor

The only way i managed to do it, was at the top of the cab, not from the bottom pivot.
Remove the rubber blocks on the back of the cab to allow it to tip just a little more. I then used a large flat screwdriver to lever the strut arm down and pushed the pin in. Two people make it go much easier! but removing the rubber blocks sure make it easier!!!!
Thanks Tazza, I did look at removing the rubber blocks but thought the little bit of extra movement would be negligible however I will try again.

jmatt20

Thanks Tazza, I did look at removing the rubber blocks but thought the little bit of extra movement would be negligible however I will try again.
i'm not sure how the 743 is but on the 843 seat bar gas spring i compressed it out of the machine about 2 inches and tied it with some tie wire . i was then able to move the seat bar until the mounting holes lined up and put the pins in then i cut the tie wire out ...hope this helps..

OP
OP
L

Luthor

i'm not sure how the 743 is but on the 843 seat bar gas spring i compressed it out of the machine about 2 inches and tied it with some tie wire . i was then able to move the seat bar until the mounting holes lined up and put the pins in then i cut the tie wire out ...hope this helps..
Jmatt the gas spring I was having trouble with is one of two that are outside the cab and are there to hold the cab up when working on the pumps etc.
I did get the spring back on tonight by removing the rubber bumpers and the pivot bolt on that side because the extra movement gained from the bumpers was not enough.