Cab Door

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldMachinist

I got the lexan that I used from Ebay. They were odd shaped offal that people were selling. The front panels are a grey smoked color and the rear are clear. it took me a while to collect all the pieces I needed but it was cheaper than buying new.
The only problem with plexiglass is that it will yellow after a couple years of exposure to the sun.
The front panel should be lexan if you need some impact protection.
Something else I just remembered is if you design your door straight across the bottom like mine. The arms have to be all the way down to open and close the door. So if your attachment doesn't allow the arms all the way down then you'll need the notch for the tilt cylinder mount like the OEM door.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Something else I just remembered is if you design your door straight across the bottom like mine. The arms have to be all the way down to open and close the door. So if your attachment doesn't allow the arms all the way down then you'll need the notch for the tilt cylinder mount like the OEM door.
Hey OM, Good points as always. I am definitely thinkining 1/4" lexan for the door. We will see how the side windows stand up. My machine doesn't spend a great deal of time outside. I will likely go with lexan when the time comes to change them, I will start looking for more economic sources in the interim. I ordered the steel for the door yesterday. I am thinking to put in a threshold below the door similar to your design. Thanks!

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Hey OM, Good points as always. I am definitely thinkining 1/4" lexan for the door. We will see how the side windows stand up. My machine doesn't spend a great deal of time outside. I will likely go with lexan when the time comes to change them, I will start looking for more economic sources in the interim. I ordered the steel for the door yesterday. I am thinking to put in a threshold below the door similar to your design. Thanks!
Scored a piece of 3/8" lexan big enough to make 2 doors for $80 tonight (thanks Kijiji!). I am beginning to rethink the need for a frame for the door....

mahans7

Scored a piece of 3/8" lexan big enough to make 2 doors for $80 tonight (thanks Kijiji!). I am beginning to rethink the need for a frame for the door....
My correction. Went back to Lowe's and rechecked, a 36" X 48" X 0.085" lexan sheet was $69.99. My 36" X 72" X 1/8" sheet was optiplex which is an acrylic sheet. It was $55.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

My correction. Went back to Lowe's and rechecked, a 36" X 48" X 0.085" lexan sheet was $69.99. My 36" X 72" X 1/8" sheet was optiplex which is an acrylic sheet. It was $55.
Yeah, I kinda wondered that. I know we get hosed on stuff up here in Canada, but I didn't think we got hosed that bad!! Cheers!

KarlB

Yeah, I kinda wondered that. I know we get hosed on stuff up here in Canada, but I didn't think we got hosed that bad!! Cheers!
Some days you really get lucky.

Saw a Bobcat door on kijiji...looked like the 743 one.
Called and got it a day later.
$300. Complete with wiper and washer.
My 743 is setup for the older door hinged on the other side, but it looks like I just need to swap hinges.
The bottom shield is a bit different for this style; mine is straight across while this door is recessed a bit in the middle.
I'll post pictures as this post is useless without them.

...karl, who is no longer shopping for lexan

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Some days you really get lucky.

Saw a Bobcat door on kijiji...looked like the 743 one.
Called and got it a day later.
$300. Complete with wiper and washer.
My 743 is setup for the older door hinged on the other side, but it looks like I just need to swap hinges.
The bottom shield is a bit different for this style; mine is straight across while this door is recessed a bit in the middle.
I'll post pictures as this post is useless without them.

...karl, who is no longer shopping for lexan
That is a sweet deal. Where in Canada are you?

1ofU

I went to Lowes and purchased lexan sheets for my 825 , the back and sides are done
i'm building my door now as well . i have heavy snow sometimes in north Missouri .
as well as a am/fm cd unit and four inch speakers , ive spent several hours out there on the
Kubota movin drifts out of my driveway so the tunes help me pass the seat time.
1 of U
my door is done , turn out good enough to keep the wind out , i used 1/4 by 1 inch for the frame , and 1 1/2 for the middle support for the handle rail . the handle was made out of 1/2 threaded rod , i used 2 thrust bearings , 1 inch barstock for the handle mounts and 1/2 inch rods for the handle and 3/4 X 1/2 in foam for the inside to seal the door .

bobcatdoor-1.gif

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

my door is done , turn out good enough to keep the wind out , i used 1/4 by 1 inch for the frame , and 1 1/2 for the middle support for the handle rail . the handle was made out of 1/2 threaded rod , i used 2 thrust bearings , 1 inch barstock for the handle mounts and 1/2 inch rods for the handle and 3/4 X 1/2 in foam for the inside to seal the door .
Nice!! That's quite the Country Cadillac you have going there!! Was that the seat it came with, or did you put that in? The arm rests are a must if you don't have a seat bar. I got side tracked with the rototiller build, got to get back to the door build. Temperature is dropping and there was a skiff of snow yesterday.

1ofU

Nice!! That's quite the Country Cadillac you have going there!! Was that the seat it came with, or did you put that in? The arm rests are a must if you don't have a seat bar. I got side tracked with the rototiller build, got to get back to the door build. Temperature is dropping and there was a skiff of snow yesterday.
Hey Skid Roe
no it has a new very comfortable seat with large armrest
Bobcatwindowsampstereo014.jpg

1ofU

Well now I see how a stereo system goes in a BC. Thanks.
yeah ,, the speaker housing is a old 9x13 bake pan my better half gave me cut in half and then split , used a 4 inch hole saw , the speakers and anteana came from walmart 35.00 and the radio 10.00 i picked up from a want add at work .

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

mahans7

I built my door today. See the Homemade Section for the pictures.

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=60599
Hey 1, thanks for the info on the stereo. I thought by the looks of the speakers that it was an expensive factory job. I would have never thought of using a bake pan, but boy it looks nice! I'll guess my 743 will have the ol' bake pan also.

1ofU

Hey 1, thanks for the info on the stereo. I thought by the looks of the speakers that it was an expensive factory job. I would have never thought of using a bake pan, but boy it looks nice! I'll guess my 743 will have the ol' bake pan also.
Hello,
glad i was able to share a idea with you ,
she my sweetie of 25 yrs has always gave me her old pans etc , i mounted a couple magnets on a couple and use them when i work on cars , bobcat etc to throw all of the nuts and bolts in as well as for using them as a tool tray .
1 of U

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I built my door today. See the Homemade Section for the pictures.

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=60599
First true test of the cab enclosure today. -5C, wind out of the north. Cleared about 6" of snow out of the drive way, just a warm up. Loaded up the machine on the trailer, grabbed the chain saw, and over to dad's place to haul wood for the day. We moved logs and blocks out of the bush to a landing in an adjacent field, grapples a plenty!! Took both machines back up to the house had lunch, and went back with the 24' wood wagon on the Ford 7740, and me in the open cab 773. Only a 5 minute drive, but what a difference compared to the enclosure on my 440b. Back up to the barn, put the splitter on the 773, and busted every thing up for the out door furnace, stacking wood with the 440b and grapple. Even with no heater, the heat off of the pumps keep it a comfortable temp in the cab. Fogging of the lexan door doesn't seem to be much on an issue. Even if some condensation does form, it doesn't seem to freeze. Just a quick wipe with the back of the glove, and totally clear again. Pops was laughing at my reluctance to leave the cab, even picking up twigs with the grapple. Can you blame me!?! Get to do it all over again tomorrow, sure beats driving a desk (day job)!!

mahans7

First true test of the cab enclosure today. -5C, wind out of the north. Cleared about 6" of snow out of the drive way, just a warm up. Loaded up the machine on the trailer, grabbed the chain saw, and over to dad's place to haul wood for the day. We moved logs and blocks out of the bush to a landing in an adjacent field, grapples a plenty!! Took both machines back up to the house had lunch, and went back with the 24' wood wagon on the Ford 7740, and me in the open cab 773. Only a 5 minute drive, but what a difference compared to the enclosure on my 440b. Back up to the barn, put the splitter on the 773, and busted every thing up for the out door furnace, stacking wood with the 440b and grapple. Even with no heater, the heat off of the pumps keep it a comfortable temp in the cab. Fogging of the lexan door doesn't seem to be much on an issue. Even if some condensation does form, it doesn't seem to freeze. Just a quick wipe with the back of the glove, and totally clear again. Pops was laughing at my reluctance to leave the cab, even picking up twigs with the grapple. Can you blame me!?! Get to do it all over again tomorrow, sure beats driving a desk (day job)!!
Well it looks like it passed with flying colors! Nice job.