Cab Door

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SkidRoe

Has anyone bought a door from Thermfast Industries? How are they?
I like the design, but I am concerned about the structural rigidity of it being one large piece of lexan. Does it compress the seal equally all the way around?
TIA.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Got an e-mail back from them. Looks like they do not make a door to fit a 4XX machine. Back to plan A - make my own.

mahans7

Got an e-mail back from them. Looks like they do not make a door to fit a 4XX machine. Back to plan A - make my own.
Yes, good. We want you to make your own door and then take lots of pictures to show us how you did it.

OldMachinist

No Worries, I got a plan. Now, if I just had some time......
I made a door for my 453 several years ago. I thought I posted something about it then but I can't find it. Sometime today I'll take some pictures and post them.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I made a door for my 453 several years ago. I thought I posted something about it then but I can't find it. Sometime today I'll take some pictures and post them.
Thanks, OM. I look forward to seeing what you came up with.

OldMachinist

Thanks, OM. I look forward to seeing what you came up with.
I build my door primarily to keep from getting hit by debris when I was knocking down some old buildings on my property so there are no seals or a windshield wiper but they could be added if needed. It is Lexan pop riveted to 1/2" square tubing that I bent and welded.
DSCF1618.jpg

I made a plate to square off the bottom of the cab opening so I didn't have to design around the hump from the tilt cylinder mount.
DSCF1620.jpg

The hinges I used had removable pins and I made "L" shaped pins to put in their place to make removing the door easy. I bought them without holes so I could drill them to match the existing holes in the ROPS.
DSCF1621.jpg

The latch came from McMaster Carr and even has a place to hang a padlock. Part #1355A11
DSCF1619.jpg

The side panels are 1/8" lexan. The front panel is bolted in place and the rear is held in with spring snaps so I can remove them when needed.
DSCF1622.jpg

DSCF1623.jpg

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I build my door primarily to keep from getting hit by debris when I was knocking down some old buildings on my property so there are no seals or a windshield wiper but they could be added if needed. It is Lexan pop riveted to 1/2" square tubing that I bent and welded.

I made a plate to square off the bottom of the cab opening so I didn't have to design around the hump from the tilt cylinder mount.

The hinges I used had removable pins and I made "L" shaped pins to put in their place to make removing the door easy. I bought them without holes so I could drill them to match the existing holes in the ROPS.

The latch came from McMaster Carr and even has a place to hang a padlock. Part #1355A11

The side panels are 1/8" lexan. The front panel is bolted in place and the rear is held in with spring snaps so I can remove them when needed.
Do you use it at all in the cold? How is it for keeping the weather out? Do you get much heat transmitted into the cab? Thanks for sharing.

mahans7

Do you use it at all in the cold? How is it for keeping the weather out? Do you get much heat transmitted into the cab? Thanks for sharing.
Wow OM, that's a nifty engineering job. You sure put a lot of thought into the details to make it immensely functional. Thanks for sharing it. Is there a panel on the top also?

Ed

OldMachinist

Wow OM, that's a nifty engineering job. You sure put a lot of thought into the details to make it immensely functional. Thanks for sharing it. Is there a panel on the top also?

Ed
I used it a couple of winters ago when I had to remove some large snow drifts from the driveway several times. I dressed warm enough I didn't get cold but there must have been enough heat because the snow melted on the windows and door. I applied RainX to the door and it stayed pretty clear.
I do have a piece of Lexan over the small opening in the roof of the cab.

1ofU

I used it a couple of winters ago when I had to remove some large snow drifts from the driveway several times. I dressed warm enough I didn't get cold but there must have been enough heat because the snow melted on the windows and door. I applied RainX to the door and it stayed pretty clear.
I do have a piece of Lexan over the small opening in the roof of the cab.
I went to Lowes and purchased lexan sheets for my 825 , the back and sides are done
i'm building my door now as well . i have heavy snow sometimes in north Missouri .
as well as a am/fm cd unit and four inch speakers , ive spent several hours out there on the
Kubota movin drifts out of my driveway so the tunes help me pass the seat time.
1 of U

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I went to Lowes and purchased lexan sheets for my 825 , the back and sides are done
i'm building my door now as well . i have heavy snow sometimes in north Missouri .
as well as a am/fm cd unit and four inch speakers , ive spent several hours out there on the
Kubota movin drifts out of my driveway so the tunes help me pass the seat time.
1 of U
What was a sheet of Lexan worth at Lowes? What thickness did you get?

1ofU

I bought a 72" X 36" sheet of Lexan from Lowe's a couple of weeks ago for $53. It was 1/8" thick (like OMs side panels).
i didnt see the 1/4 at my lowes just the 1/8
but i will post some pics when i'm finished aswell
anyway 4 sheets cost $254.00
1 of U

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

i didnt see the 1/4 at my lowes just the 1/8
but i will post some pics when i'm finished aswell
anyway 4 sheets cost $254.00
1 of U
That seems like a good price. Is it really lexan (polycarbonate) or is it acrylic (i.e. lucite, plexiglass. etc.)?

mahans7

That seems like a good price. Is it really lexan (polycarbonate) or is it acrylic (i.e. lucite, plexiglass. etc.)?
The sticker said Lexan although I couldn't tell the difference if it was plexiglas or lucite.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I'm going to have to go to Lowe's and check this out.
Installed the side windows today. I checked the price here for a piece of 36"x72" lexan - $155. So I went with plexiglass, $69 for the same. I think it should be fine. It only took one sheet to do all four windows. Now on to the door....

OldMachinist

Installed the side windows today. I checked the price here for a piece of 36"x72" lexan - $155. So I went with plexiglass, $69 for the same. I think it should be fine. It only took one sheet to do all four windows. Now on to the door....
I got the lexan that I used from Ebay. They were odd shaped offal that people were selling. The front panels are a grey smoked color and the rear are clear. it took me a while to collect all the pieces I needed but it was cheaper than buying new.
The only problem with plexiglass is that it will yellow after a couple years of exposure to the sun.
The front panel should be lexan if you need some impact protection.