Bypass injector fuel lines 853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

The BC parts guy said something about a replacement kit ($100) for the bypass injector fuel lines on my 853, the short hoses connecting all 4 injectors. Is this a fire hazard?. Can I replace myself with quality hose?, just don't want to be working and notice smoke everywhere!!!!.
Thanks...

Tazza

Staff member
There is no reason for the by-pass lines being a fire hazard. There is no pressure here what so ever. If you are worried get some quality hose of decent wall thickness and clamps and change it your self. $100 is way too much. I got a length of hose and clamps for free when i got my injector pump re-conditioned.

OP
OP
P

perry

There is no reason for the by-pass lines being a fire hazard. There is no pressure here what so ever. If you are worried get some quality hose of decent wall thickness and clamps and change it your self. $100 is way too much. I got a length of hose and clamps for free when i got my injector pump re-conditioned.
Thanks Tazza, I've seen two or three BC after a fire!. I didn't ask but what is the usual reason for fires in the engine compartment....if there is one?.

Fishfiles

Thanks Tazza, I've seen two or three BC after a fire!. I didn't ask but what is the usual reason for fires in the engine compartment....if there is one?.
A common Bobcat fire I see is letting leaves and pine needles pile up inside the machine and it must hit against the turbo or exhaust pipe and ignition , I do find it best to get the right size cloth covered hose when replacing the lines as rubber don't seem to hold up as long , aslo I use small electrical wire ties on the ends of the lines

skidsteer.ca

A common Bobcat fire I see is letting leaves and pine needles pile up inside the machine and it must hit against the turbo or exhaust pipe and ignition , I do find it best to get the right size cloth covered hose when replacing the lines as rubber don't seem to hold up as long , aslo I use small electrical wire ties on the ends of the lines
Most fires are caused by not keeping the machine clean.
Fuel is difficult to ignite unless it is very hot or in a very fine mist. I've had a few fuel leaks on various engines but have never had a fire. The worst is if they is a accumulation of flammable material in the machines, then if something causes a spark it has alot of flammable material to to make the fire big. Once it kets some intensity if burns through hyd hoses and plastic parts and its game over.
If you concerned about the return hoses between your injectors follow Tazza advice, $100 is way too much, they are simply return lines to the tank.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

Most fires are caused by not keeping the machine clean.
Fuel is difficult to ignite unless it is very hot or in a very fine mist. I've had a few fuel leaks on various engines but have never had a fire. The worst is if they is a accumulation of flammable material in the machines, then if something causes a spark it has alot of flammable material to to make the fire big. Once it kets some intensity if burns through hyd hoses and plastic parts and its game over.
If you concerned about the return hoses between your injectors follow Tazza advice, $100 is way too much, they are simply return lines to the tank.
Ken
I will, thanks......

Tazza

Staff member
I will, thanks......
As ken said, letting oil and leaves/grass build up is the main cause but electrical shorts are a big one too. Especially in 743's, the starter solenoid *can* fall apart inside causing a dead short to ground. This causes the battery cables to catch fire (this is a known fault with the starter). If the machine was kept clean this would only leave a scortch mark but when its full of grease and oil it can ignite, when the fire hits the fuel hose its all over.

OP
OP
P

perry

As ken said, letting oil and leaves/grass build up is the main cause but electrical shorts are a big one too. Especially in 743's, the starter solenoid *can* fall apart inside causing a dead short to ground. This causes the battery cables to catch fire (this is a known fault with the starter). If the machine was kept clean this would only leave a scortch mark but when its full of grease and oil it can ignite, when the fire hits the fuel hose its all over.
Tazza, that brought something to mind, I buy 'purple magic' or whatever it's called, by the 5 Gal. It's a cleaner-degreaser sold mostly in auto parts stores. It's fantastic at removing oil and grime. I spray full strength and let it set for a couple of minutes and wash off with garden hose. It also removes mud from tires like you wouldn't believe...no scrubbing!. I found it's best to apply on dry surfaces, don't spray with water first. It's a super surfactant or wetting solution.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, that brought something to mind, I buy 'purple magic' or whatever it's called, by the 5 Gal. It's a cleaner-degreaser sold mostly in auto parts stores. It's fantastic at removing oil and grime. I spray full strength and let it set for a couple of minutes and wash off with garden hose. It also removes mud from tires like you wouldn't believe...no scrubbing!. I found it's best to apply on dry surfaces, don't spray with water first. It's a super surfactant or wetting solution.
Very nice, do you happen to have a name on that at all? not that it will be sold here i bet, but i can at least look. The de-greaser i use is about $2.50 a can and works pretty darn well but you seem to use a lot of it!.

OP
OP
P

perry

Very nice, do you happen to have a name on that at all? not that it will be sold here i bet, but i can at least look. The de-greaser i use is about $2.50 a can and works pretty darn well but you seem to use a lot of it!.
Correction, I bought 'purple magic' some time back, NAPA carries the same thing but it's called 'formula 21'. I'm sure it's sold in other parts stores under different names. It's purple in color and another thing, it will remove wax instantly so if you've waxed your car, be careful.

Latest posts