Buying a SkidSteer to start a Business

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

andrew415

Hey Hows it going guys! Dont mean to bug you but I'm 20 and currently working in Construction as a labourer/skid steer operator.. I was thinking of buying my own skid steer next summer to start contracting myself out to construction/home builder companies? How did this work out for you guys , Do you keep quite busy all year round, How do you find your contracts and do you do snow removal as well? I just want to do as much information as I can to get into the buisness, Everyone seems to tell me its hard getting contracts but yet im not talking to anyone that knows there stuff like you guys would.. Could you give me some input on the right career path into this if possible? Future outlook etc... Dont want to buy a 30 thousand dollar skid steer and have no work!!!:p I am in a hot area for constrcution , Edmonton Alberta So IMO It will work IFFFFF!! and how I get contracts Thanks guys so very much

lgammon

well to put it simply, would you buy a sledge hammer and tell people you are a guy with a hammer? i bet this busness model whouldn't pan out well. it is the same with a skid. if you are a landscaper sell the service the skid is just a tool. build walls, site clean up, concreate prep. these are things that people think hey i need a guy to get this basement ready for concrete,buld this wall, ext ext. you need to have a service to sell not a machine. i think this is the biggest down fall for skid owners they go in backwards.

siduramaxde

well to put it simply, would you buy a sledge hammer and tell people you are a guy with a hammer? i bet this busness model whouldn't pan out well. it is the same with a skid. if you are a landscaper sell the service the skid is just a tool. build walls, site clean up, concreate prep. these are things that people think hey i need a guy to get this basement ready for concrete,buld this wall, ext ext. you need to have a service to sell not a machine. i think this is the biggest down fall for skid owners they go in backwards.
I run a landscaping business and I own a T200. I started my landscape business without the bobcat. I had the opertunity to get into snow removal as a subcontractor so I bought a 1998 863 for $12,500 USD. I used it plowing snow for 2 seasons and found it to be a valuable tool durring landscape projects. However, I found that it would make bad ruts in a soft yard so I upgraded to the T200. I traded the 863 in and got $12,000. I would say that the return on the the 863 was pretty good considering how much money it made me. It doesn't snow here much (I might plow snow 3-4 times per year) and I can make enough money plowing to pay for the T200(barely).
I would say to have work lined up b4 you make a huge investment. You have to put hours on a machine to be able to pay for it (not too mention fuel and maintenance).

OP
OP
A

andrew415

I run a landscaping business and I own a T200. I started my landscape business without the bobcat. I had the opertunity to get into snow removal as a subcontractor so I bought a 1998 863 for $12,500 USD. I used it plowing snow for 2 seasons and found it to be a valuable tool durring landscape projects. However, I found that it would make bad ruts in a soft yard so I upgraded to the T200. I traded the 863 in and got $12,000. I would say that the return on the the 863 was pretty good considering how much money it made me. It doesn't snow here much (I might plow snow 3-4 times per year) and I can make enough money plowing to pay for the T200(barely).
I would say to have work lined up b4 you make a huge investment. You have to put hours on a machine to be able to pay for it (not too mention fuel and maintenance).
Thanks Guys Some home builder in my area said he has access to some contracts with other home builders for rough grading etc.. to help me get started, I may just rent for the first few months to even see if it works out!

farmboy55

Thanks Guys Some home builder in my area said he has access to some contracts with other home builders for rough grading etc.. to help me get started, I may just rent for the first few months to even see if it works out!
Your quality of work and being on time will get you all the work you can handle in time. Just don't get in over you head to start with. Don't over price yourself, yet don't work for nothing either.
Also know who your working for and how they pay. That's what has worked for me.
good luck dennis