Building a 3-point adapter and PTO for Bobcats

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

I finally got my package from Surplus Center on Friday. I examined everything and it appears as I expected. No suprises there. The adapter adds about 6" to the output shaft length, which was an area I was trying to cut length, not add, so I'll have to work that into my calculations.
Now comes the fun part: how to run my hydraulic lines. I have the Prince Model RDRS175-30. There is a nice schematic here.
This is the drawing I came up with, but I have some concerns:

1) Do I need to worry about back flow coming out of the line in the EF port into the motor or back towards the PR port?
2) Will this provide the ability for the implement (bush hog) to spin down when I shut off hydraulic flow?
3) Should I run any lines into my "third" connection on the 773? If I understand correctly, that third connection is used for a return-only line into the tank. I could probably just run my PR port straight into that connection, but (as long as it doesn't hurt anything) I'd rather keep the connections to the standard two in case this fabbed implement I'm making mounts to a skidsteer with no third connection.
Where's Jerry at? He seemed to have some knowledge on how this hydraulic circuit would work best. I guess I can just start connecting hoses and see what happens, but I would rather have some input from someone who has some knowledge on the subject.
Thanks.

jerry

Where's Jerry at? He seemed to have some knowledge on how this hydraulic circuit would work best. I guess I can just start connecting hoses and see what happens, but I would rather have some input from someone who has some knowledge on the subject.
Thanks.
In the media photos under brusher skidsteer ca there is a picture of a bush hog with the relief circuit. Under most motor driven use you will have the flow valve wide open and there must be a one way check valve in the excess port so oil can't come back in. If it could then I would think it would work as a loop though. The set-ups most discussed here just used a flow control which just restricts the flow and does not dump the excess. On both my backhoe and snow plow I have restrictor orifices but that backs the pressure up and you can hear the engine labor. Sorry I have no experience at all with that type of flow controller, I'd hook it up and try it at low speed to see what happens.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

In the media photos under brusher skidsteer ca there is a picture of a bush hog with the relief circuit. Under most motor driven use you will have the flow valve wide open and there must be a one way check valve in the excess port so oil can't come back in. If it could then I would think it would work as a loop though. The set-ups most discussed here just used a flow control which just restricts the flow and does not dump the excess. On both my backhoe and snow plow I have restrictor orifices but that backs the pressure up and you can hear the engine labor. Sorry I have no experience at all with that type of flow controller, I'd hook it up and try it at low speed to see what happens.
Thanks for replying Jerry.
I assume you mean skidsteerca in the media/photos section. I didn't see anything related to our discussion. Can you post a link to what you're referencing?
Sounds like I'm on my own with the rest of this project. I'll try to post results as I get them.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Thanks for replying Jerry.
I assume you mean skidsteerca in the media/photos section. I didn't see anything related to our discussion. Can you post a link to what you're referencing?
Sounds like I'm on my own with the rest of this project. I'll try to post results as I get them.
Nevermind Jerry. I was able to find it. The poster created a second photo directory. It wasn't under their main directory (which is what I posted above).
Brusher skidsteerca
The photo is mostly unusable. Not much detail or part reference and the photo doesn't show the hose routing very well.

OldMachinist

Nevermind Jerry. I was able to find it. The poster created a second photo directory. It wasn't under their main directory (which is what I posted above).
Brusher skidsteerca
The photo is mostly unusable. Not much detail or part reference and the photo doesn't show the hose routing very well.
I think the hose routing is plenty clear.
bypass%20loop%20and%20relief%20valve.JPG

cutter%20deck.JPG

Plus in this thread Ken explains where the check valve needs to be and why.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=42889

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

I think the hose routing is plenty clear.

Plus in this thread Ken explains where the check valve needs to be and why.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=42889
Thanks for the thread link OldMachinist. I'm going to drop Ken a line to see if maybe he can help me.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Thanks for the thread link OldMachinist. I'm going to drop Ken a line to see if maybe he can help me.
No response from Ken yet. Looks like he hasn't been around in a while.
I posted a teaser "in progress" picture on the other forum.

jerry

No response from Ken yet. Looks like he hasn't been around in a while.
I posted a teaser "in progress" picture on the other forum.
I don't see where the problem is. I would not install the flow control you are going to because I cant forsee any reason for a relief at that point. Just run your hose to the motor and put a loop back from in output line on the motor to the input port with a one way check valve in it. If you are using something on this adapter that is not motor driven and you need to control flow then you put a simple adjustable flow fitting inline. If you have the control already that you mention then install it and run the relief line back to the reservoir or plumb it into the return line on the adaptor but remember sometimes you will be reversing the flow when operating a cylinder.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

I don't see where the problem is. I would not install the flow control you are going to because I cant forsee any reason for a relief at that point. Just run your hose to the motor and put a loop back from in output line on the motor to the input port with a one way check valve in it. If you are using something on this adapter that is not motor driven and you need to control flow then you put a simple adjustable flow fitting inline. If you have the control already that you mention then install it and run the relief line back to the reservoir or plumb it into the return line on the adaptor but remember sometimes you will be reversing the flow when operating a cylinder.
The flow control was purchased so I don't over spin my implements. If a rotary brush cutter is designed to be driven at 540 rpm and I spin it at 600 rpm, there is a potential for part failure. I'd rather not be 6 feet from a blade that gives out and comes flying off.
I do intend to spin the motor up without the flow control and gauge rotational speed with my handheld laser tachometer. If it's spinning close to 540 rpm, then I'm not going to worry about it. If the motor is designed to spin 600 rpm at 30 gpm, and I'm pushing it with 27 gpm, simple ratio math shows it should be 540 rpm (600 / 30 = 20 * 27 = 540). Calculations don't always agree with actuals.

jerry

The flow control was purchased so I don't over spin my implements. If a rotary brush cutter is designed to be driven at 540 rpm and I spin it at 600 rpm, there is a potential for part failure. I'd rather not be 6 feet from a blade that gives out and comes flying off.
I do intend to spin the motor up without the flow control and gauge rotational speed with my handheld laser tachometer. If it's spinning close to 540 rpm, then I'm not going to worry about it. If the motor is designed to spin 600 rpm at 30 gpm, and I'm pushing it with 27 gpm, simple ratio math shows it should be 540 rpm (600 / 30 = 20 * 27 = 540). Calculations don't always agree with actuals.
There are guys on the fluid power forum who probably can give you some informed answers on this. Let us know how it all works out.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

There are guys on the fluid power forum who probably can give you some informed answers on this. Let us know how it all works out.
Now I remember why I bought the flow control... I looked at the wrong specs on the motor. It is designed to run 600 rpm at 19.7 gpm. If I put 27 gpm through it, it will almost certainly fail.
I'll Google the link for the fluid power forum since I'm not familiar with it.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Now I remember why I bought the flow control... I looked at the wrong specs on the motor. It is designed to run 600 rpm at 19.7 gpm. If I put 27 gpm through it, it will almost certainly fail.
I'll Google the link for the fluid power forum since I'm not familiar with it.
Finished the frame and motor mount. I will try to go by the Bobcat place on Wednesday to get the hoses. Once that's done, and I verify functionality, I can build all the outer covers and paint everything so it looks nice.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Finished the frame and motor mount. I will try to go by the Bobcat place on Wednesday to get the hoses. Once that's done, and I verify functionality, I can build all the outer covers and paint everything so it looks nice.
Finally got all the fittings and hoses completed! The first thing I tried was the bush hog. It cuts "okay", but I was fighting a new issue on the Bobcat that seemed to be affecting the operation of the mower, so that was contributing to the lackluster performance.

It does turn and it does cut though. Definately progress.

Tazza

Staff member
Finally got all the fittings and hoses completed! The first thing I tried was the bush hog. It cuts "okay", but I was fighting a new issue on the Bobcat that seemed to be affecting the operation of the mower, so that was contributing to the lackluster performance.

It does turn and it does cut though. Definately progress.
Getting enough power from the aux circuit can be tough, hoefully you can get it corted out, looking forward to seeing pictures if it all setup.