Bucket sizes!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BobcatMatt

I have a 1991ish Bobcat 853. What size bucket should this machine have on it? The bucket that is on it is too small now that I flipped the wheels around (i think now they are they way there supposed to be).... So what size bucket will cover the width of my 853 now...? what about an 863?

jklingel

I am new to skid steers, but I don't think there is one answer for you. They make a variety of bucket sizes for different purposes/materials. It seems that "just wider than the tires" is what I see mostly, and would think you only go "way past" the tire width when you deal w/ light material. I just bough a large frame machine w/ an 86" construction bucket and a 78" toothed bucket, both a tad wider than the tires. The sales guy agreed that those widths were "normal". Hope it helps. j

Tazza

Staff member
I am new to skid steers, but I don't think there is one answer for you. They make a variety of bucket sizes for different purposes/materials. It seems that "just wider than the tires" is what I see mostly, and would think you only go "way past" the tire width when you deal w/ light material. I just bough a large frame machine w/ an 86" construction bucket and a 78" toothed bucket, both a tad wider than the tires. The sales guy agreed that those widths were "normal". Hope it helps. j
If it was me, i'd measure the width of your tyres on the machine to work out what width bucket you need. I'd add a few inches per side for clearance. Depending on what you want to lift, the extra width may be an asset, but it may limit what spaces you can fit through too.

skidsteer.ca

If it was me, i'd measure the width of your tyres on the machine to work out what width bucket you need. I'd add a few inches per side for clearance. Depending on what you want to lift, the extra width may be an asset, but it may limit what spaces you can fit through too.
I concure on measuring the tire width, but a 66" to 72" is fairly standard for these machines. Also depends on what you want to do with it. If you not excavating too much virgin soil you can go wider.
I have a 72 for 773 whick has a 1750 ib rated lift and the 72 is plenty for it for gravel The 853 is only rated 1800 ib roc. So I would not get too caried away. Really depends on the material you want to handle. If its mainly black dirt you could go wide still.
Ken

OP
OP
B

BobcatMatt

I concure on measuring the tire width, but a 66" to 72" is fairly standard for these machines. Also depends on what you want to do with it. If you not excavating too much virgin soil you can go wider.
I have a 72 for 773 whick has a 1750 ib rated lift and the 72 is plenty for it for gravel The 853 is only rated 1800 ib roc. So I would not get too caried away. Really depends on the material you want to handle. If its mainly black dirt you could go wide still.
Ken
I was wondering because I need to get a tooth bucket for the machine. I will be mainly be just tearing up ground and movin the dirt around with it. 72 too big?

Latest posts