bucket level indicator

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stonehands

Hello everyone. Has anyone ever fabricated a bucket level indicator on their 863 Bobcat? Stacking round hay bales overhead and helps to have the bale spear level for getting the fresh bales off the spear. Looked online for something stock but have not found anything. On my old Case 580B backhoe, it had a level indicator that showed you a level bucket when two pins met together. My 863 does not have the self leveling option. Thank you

Tazza

Staff member
Interesting idea, i just don't know how you would mount it.
Bucket leveling should be an optional extra, but you need to get the level on the intiial lift, it will not work when you lower the arms though.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

Interesting idea, i just don't know how you would mount it.
Bucket leveling should be an optional extra, but you need to get the level on the intiial lift, it will not work when you lower the arms though.
Good point Tazza. Still trying to figure it out. With the factory self leveling, the machine does it of course. My thought was that if you had a physical indicator so that with bucket or bale spear on the ground and level, the two lines or indicators would match up together. As you raise the arms, you would still have to adjust level but you would have a visual reference as to where the bucket or spear needs to be to attain level. I will noodle this around some more. Thank you

TriHonu

Good point Tazza. Still trying to figure it out. With the factory self leveling, the machine does it of course. My thought was that if you had a physical indicator so that with bucket or bale spear on the ground and level, the two lines or indicators would match up together. As you raise the arms, you would still have to adjust level but you would have a visual reference as to where the bucket or spear needs to be to attain level. I will noodle this around some more. Thank you
&nbsp
Interesting idea. The mechanical indicators I have seen only work when the boom is down and you want to know when the bucket is flat on grade.
When you raise the boom, the mechanical indicator is useless. Think about setting the bucket level on grade and then raising the boom all the way up. The indicator would still show level, but the cutting edge would be pointed at the sky.
The only idea I have would be to use an electrical tilt switch mounted to the back of the Quick-Tach. The switch would control a light in the cab. After you raise the boom, watch the light as you roll the Quick-Tach. When the tilt switch goes level the contacts close and the indicator light is illuminated.
The trick is to find a switch that will handle the elements, machine vibration and is dampened to some extent.
If you have an old Smart Phone, attach it to the Quick-Tach and run an inclinometer app...
emotion-2.gif

Those old Case 1845's and Toyota SDK7/8's had mechanical bucket leveling. The used a couple of linkage rods and triangular pivots on the boom to keep the bucket at the same tilt as you raised the boom. Dead simple, but the pins and bosses tended to wear and egg out if you didn't keep them greased.

Tazza

Staff member
&nbsp
Interesting idea. The mechanical indicators I have seen only work when the boom is down and you want to know when the bucket is flat on grade.
When you raise the boom, the mechanical indicator is useless. Think about setting the bucket level on grade and then raising the boom all the way up. The indicator would still show level, but the cutting edge would be pointed at the sky.
The only idea I have would be to use an electrical tilt switch mounted to the back of the Quick-Tach. The switch would control a light in the cab. After you raise the boom, watch the light as you roll the Quick-Tach. When the tilt switch goes level the contacts close and the indicator light is illuminated.
The trick is to find a switch that will handle the elements, machine vibration and is dampened to some extent.
If you have an old Smart Phone, attach it to the Quick-Tach and run an inclinometer app...
Those old Case 1845's and Toyota SDK7/8's had mechanical bucket leveling. The used a couple of linkage rods and triangular pivots on the boom to keep the bucket at the same tilt as you raised the boom. Dead simple, but the pins and bosses tended to wear and egg out if you didn't keep them greased.
That's the thing, it could be done with electronics, but the sort of electronics needed are delicate and i don't think they would survive being in the dirt and shaken around.

TriHonu

That's the thing, it could be done with electronics, but the sort of electronics needed are delicate and i don't think they would survive being in the dirt and shaken around.
Actually, the simplest tilt switch is very simple. They are just a tube with two contacts protruding into the tube on one end. The tube contains a ball bearing and is capped on both ends. When the tube is tilted to the extent that the ball rolls to the end with the contacts, it allows current to flow from one contact to the other. These simple tilt switches can be purchased for a couple dollars.
Two of these switches wired in series and arranged in a shallow "V" with the contacts of each switch at the base of the "V" would allow the light to remain lit within a tolerance of level depending upon the angle of the "V". The assembly could easily be potted to weather proof it. You would need a pair of wires from the cab to the switch. No electronics necessary, just basic electrical wiring.
I did a little searching for something usable out of the box that would handle a few amps at 12v. The closest I found was $35 and I couldn't decipher the sensitivity.
Google returns too many sites when you search for "Level Sensor" or "Plumb Sensor". The closest I got was searching for "Tilt Switch".
I asked my brother if this type of switch is used on Air Ride Suspensions in cars. He told me he has not found them in the aftermarket even though there are numerous systems in use on production cars. Aftermarket uses height switches which reference the distance from the chassis to the axle. Production cars utilize a more complex set of electronics.

Tazza

Staff member
Actually, the simplest tilt switch is very simple. They are just a tube with two contacts protruding into the tube on one end. The tube contains a ball bearing and is capped on both ends. When the tube is tilted to the extent that the ball rolls to the end with the contacts, it allows current to flow from one contact to the other. These simple tilt switches can be purchased for a couple dollars.
Two of these switches wired in series and arranged in a shallow "V" with the contacts of each switch at the base of the "V" would allow the light to remain lit within a tolerance of level depending upon the angle of the "V". The assembly could easily be potted to weather proof it. You would need a pair of wires from the cab to the switch. No electronics necessary, just basic electrical wiring.
I did a little searching for something usable out of the box that would handle a few amps at 12v. The closest I found was $35 and I couldn't decipher the sensitivity.
Google returns too many sites when you search for "Level Sensor" or "Plumb Sensor". The closest I got was searching for "Tilt Switch".
I asked my brother if this type of switch is used on Air Ride Suspensions in cars. He told me he has not found them in the aftermarket even though there are numerous systems in use on production cars. Aftermarket uses height switches which reference the distance from the chassis to the axle. Production cars utilize a more complex set of electronics.
That's a good way of doing it. See, there is always a simple way of doing things! Sadly, most times i see a problem, and my solution is far more complicated than it needs to be.

JDWY

That's a good way of doing it. See, there is always a simple way of doing things! Sadly, most times i see a problem, and my solution is far more complicated than it needs to be.
Back when I was a heavy truck mechanic we maintained a fleet of Case front end loaders and they had a sliding 3/4"diameter long rod connected somewhere and somehow to the bucket. The rod moved up and down as the bucket tilted and when it matched a mark on a cylinder lift beam up towards the cab, the bucket was level. The rod was retained along the beam by a couple 1" or 1 1/4" diameter short pieces of tubing. Too many years back to remember more clearly but it was very simple, and worked well.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

Back when I was a heavy truck mechanic we maintained a fleet of Case front end loaders and they had a sliding 3/4"diameter long rod connected somewhere and somehow to the bucket. The rod moved up and down as the bucket tilted and when it matched a mark on a cylinder lift beam up towards the cab, the bucket was level. The rod was retained along the beam by a couple 1" or 1 1/4" diameter short pieces of tubing. Too many years back to remember more clearly but it was very simple, and worked well.
This is what I recall when I used to run a Case 580B backhoe. That was were I got my idea from of fabricating something for that purpose. Thank you JDWY and everyone whom responded.

OP
OP
S

Stonehands

&nbsp
I see what you are saying TriHonu. I was really thinking of a form of mechanical indicator. Great feedback everyone and thank you.