Bucket Build

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

elbowcarey

Hey guys
Well my new project is going to be making a new bucket.....I wanted to know if anyone has advice on doing this..... Looking to replace my wasted 60" oversized, heavy, POS current bucket with a low profile 48" smooth bucket.......My buddy can get me material and I'm thinking about having the shell be one piece and bent so there is less welds........I have ?'s about thickness, cutting edge material, pro's con's to drilling out the cutting edge for teeth if needed, and reinforcement areas that need to be addressed when building.....I'm thinking I can make this better and cheaper then buying one...Plus there's a lot more fun in building vs. buying........If it goes good a backhoe and wood splitter may be in my future

Tazza

Staff member
Wow, having that bent sure would need some big gear, not sure it will be possible on a budget.
I don't see any issues with holes in the cutting edge, there are a few out there like that and they are just fine.
I thought my cutting edge was 12 or 15mm thick bevel cut.
Some of the 4 in 1 buckets you can get have a flat floor made of bizaloy about 15mm thick. It weighs more than the A frame look, but it sure is strong. As yours won't be exposed to the same extremes that a 4 in 1 would, you may be able to consider going that route.

OP
OP
E

elbowcarey

Wow, having that bent sure would need some big gear, not sure it will be possible on a budget.
I don't see any issues with holes in the cutting edge, there are a few out there like that and they are just fine.
I thought my cutting edge was 12 or 15mm thick bevel cut.
Some of the 4 in 1 buckets you can get have a flat floor made of bizaloy about 15mm thick. It weighs more than the A frame look, but it sure is strong. As yours won't be exposed to the same extremes that a 4 in 1 would, you may be able to consider going that route.
Check it out......... Shell is bent, sides and cutting edge are tacked in ............Still thinking about it will be welding soon

Latest posts