Brush mower on a S185

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Loosenuts

Looking to buy a brush mower for my S185 high flow. Any suggestions on what too look for? Also is a 72" too big for this machine or would a 60" be better.

SkidRoe

I know high flow isnt all that important but what about size and weight?
I don't think that lifting capacity would be a problem for your machine. I think it would really depend on how you were planning to use it. Will you be cutting in tight quarters (smaller size maybe better) or open areas (larger size may be better)? Would you have an opportunity to try out either size mower before buying it?

OP
OP
L

Loosenuts

I don't think that lifting capacity would be a problem for your machine. I think it would really depend on how you were planning to use it. Will you be cutting in tight quarters (smaller size maybe better) or open areas (larger size may be better)? Would you have an opportunity to try out either size mower before buying it?
I have used a friends 60" just not sure if i would invest into one like his. I like it for the size, but always think about bigger is better you know how we are LOL !! It is a 2 blade type that has a small flywheel (stump jumper)and a hydraulic motor hooked to a gearbox. Any thoughts ???

jerry

I have used a friends 60" just not sure if i would invest into one like his. I like it for the size, but always think about bigger is better you know how we are LOL !! It is a 2 blade type that has a small flywheel (stump jumper)and a hydraulic motor hooked to a gearbox. Any thoughts ???
I have a 2 blade one on the tractor and in heavy stuff it could do better, they make a 4 blade one with them attached to a center flywheel which would be better. Also saw a used flail brush mower on craigs list recently, bobcat brand. That looked like a good design, had heavy looking hammers and did not extend too far in front of the machine . used it was going for about 4000. The one you borrowed, did it handle 2 inch thick brush very good? Lots of videos on you tube of them also.

OP
OP
L

Loosenuts

I have a 2 blade one on the tractor and in heavy stuff it could do better, they make a 4 blade one with them attached to a center flywheel which would be better. Also saw a used flail brush mower on craigs list recently, bobcat brand. That looked like a good design, had heavy looking hammers and did not extend too far in front of the machine . used it was going for about 4000. The one you borrowed, did it handle 2 inch thick brush very good? Lots of videos on you tube of them also.
It did handle the small stuff ok......but he has had trouble with cracking the main frame area where the gearbox attachs. It is not very strong in that area. We are going to beef it up some with hopes of fixing it by adding 1/2 plate instead of the 1/4 it has now.

Jock.

It did handle the small stuff ok......but he has had trouble with cracking the main frame area where the gearbox attachs. It is not very strong in that area. We are going to beef it up some with hopes of fixing it by adding 1/2 plate instead of the 1/4 it has now.
I have a 72" Wildkat Brush-hog on my 863.
It cuts grass and trees up to 2".
Love it.

Latest posts