Brush mower and backhoe question?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

woodhick

I need some input on a couple attachments I am contemplating. First the backhoe. I have a bobcat 843 loader. I also got in the deal a Case D100 backhoe attachment. Of course it dont fit the bobtach. I can modify and make mounts to loader arms but trying to decide if backhoe is worth it. How "handy" is it to have the hoe attachment? They dont have much reach and limited to 90* swing just trying to decide if I want to put effort into it. How much do you all use yours? On the brush mower. I am wanting one for my machine. I am planning on buying a 5' brush hog and building my own instead of buying a new unit. I have seen some done on here and get the jest and I am comfortable building one but have a couple questions on how well they work. I plan to mow heavy grass and light brush 2" and under but a lot of my area is hillside. How well do they work going up hill? Seems like they would loose a lot of there power since machine would be using it up for drive motors. Areas are too steep to go at sideways. May mow down and then back up but not always possible. How well are they for this situation?

Tazza

Staff member
I haven't used my backhoe attachment that much, but i'd never give it up. It doesn't have the swing or reach, but it digs trenches just fine. I dug a good 80m of trench for power to my shed a few years back, that was through shale and clay. It took me a little while, but i did get through it. The trench was about 1m deep. I have also used it to cut into a hill side and pull out stumps.
Mowing down hill, i can't see a big issue with that. Most of the power you will be using on the drive is to stop you rolling too fast, going back up while mowing i see sicking a lot of the power from your engine in the drive alone.

jlbart

Woodhick,
Are you planning to use an existing 3 pt, pto mower and build yourself a 3 point attachment with hydraulic pto motor to run the pto?

mahans7

Woodhick,
Are you planning to use an existing 3 pt, pto mower and build yourself a 3 point attachment with hydraulic pto motor to run the pto?
I bought my 743 and it came with a 909 backhoe. I have used it on one large project which involved digging out 14+ tree stumps, multiple rock piles, concrete pilings and pulling out large roots and vines. It is a tremendously versatile attachment and my sons and I would NEVER have been able to finish the job without it.

If you can build a brush mower then fabricating backhoe mounts probably won't be too difficult for you. I think your gonna like it. Take pictures and show us if you do it. Thanks.

Smokin_Joe

I bought my 743 and it came with a 909 backhoe. I have used it on one large project which involved digging out 14+ tree stumps, multiple rock piles, concrete pilings and pulling out large roots and vines. It is a tremendously versatile attachment and my sons and I would NEVER have been able to finish the job without it.

If you can build a brush mower then fabricating backhoe mounts probably won't be too difficult for you. I think your gonna like it. Take pictures and show us if you do it. Thanks.
Backhoe attachment? I am sure you will find it handy one day. If you need to dig down for any reason it is great. I have a 905B and I find it very handy. I suffer from a muscle weakness so I like to limit how much I have to shovel.lol