Brush Cutters

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BPS

I want to expand my services for this spring/summer. I rented an Ammbusher? brush cutter several times last year, but was not very impressed with it, but the price was right. There are many out there and wanted some input on the advantages/disadvantages of different models. I was looking hard at the 5' model. After using both 5 and 6, the 6 seemed like a lot for an s185.
I am leaning towards the bobcat brand because of their financing and service is close by. I also saw they float with the coutour of the ground, as does the quick attach. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Hi, We have 5' and 6' brush cutters. They are constructed of 1/4" laser cut steel and have Charlin motors with direct drive. This means no gear box to go bad. We give a 1 year warranty with all our attachments. Email me and we may have a dealer near you. [email protected]

bobbie-g

Hi, We have 5' and 6' brush cutters. They are constructed of 1/4" laser cut steel and have Charlin motors with direct drive. This means no gear box to go bad. We give a 1 year warranty with all our attachments. Email me and we may have a dealer near you. [email protected]
I have both an Ammbusher and a Bradco, both are 5' mowers with standard flow. I used the Ammbusher with my 751 for about 200 hrs. Works fine (except when the gearbox is out of oil, duhhhhhhh......). I was pretty impressed with the Ammbusher until I bought the Bradco. The Bradco structure is built better than the Ammbusher, in my opinion. Bradco uses 3/8" or 1/2" steel for the "frame" whereas Ammbusher used 1/4". Overall, I was and am happy with the durability and performance of the Ammbusher. I only have a few hours on the Bradco and don't yet see any performance difference, but I'd still go with the Bradco. Bradco also has a nifty little rotating wheel as a visual indicator to whether the blade is rotating, nice. With the Ammbusher, either your ear tells you it's stalled, or the lift arms quit working (all the hydro power is soaked up by the stalled mower motor). Gear boxes are identical (a minor fib, but I believe they are equivalent) and the hydraulic motor looks way too small in both of them. Both have a roll pin as a shear joint. Bradco's hydraulic motor mounting/coupling mechanism is simpler. Ammbusher new blades are about $65/pair two years ago. Bradco wants twice that, and you have to order thru a dealer. A complete Ammbusher gear box was less than $300 a year ago, sweet. Bradco has a stumpjumper on the blade mechanism; Ammbusher does not unless they've changed. I have really abused the Ammbusher doing Gambol Oak up to 3 or 4" dia, with no issues. It won't mulch stuff that large, but it will strip all the brush off the stem so stem cleanup is pretty simple after mowing. :) ---RC

BOBCAT 864

I have both an Ammbusher and a Bradco, both are 5' mowers with standard flow. I used the Ammbusher with my 751 for about 200 hrs. Works fine (except when the gearbox is out of oil, duhhhhhhh......). I was pretty impressed with the Ammbusher until I bought the Bradco. The Bradco structure is built better than the Ammbusher, in my opinion. Bradco uses 3/8" or 1/2" steel for the "frame" whereas Ammbusher used 1/4". Overall, I was and am happy with the durability and performance of the Ammbusher. I only have a few hours on the Bradco and don't yet see any performance difference, but I'd still go with the Bradco. Bradco also has a nifty little rotating wheel as a visual indicator to whether the blade is rotating, nice. With the Ammbusher, either your ear tells you it's stalled, or the lift arms quit working (all the hydro power is soaked up by the stalled mower motor). Gear boxes are identical (a minor fib, but I believe they are equivalent) and the hydraulic motor looks way too small in both of them. Both have a roll pin as a shear joint. Bradco's hydraulic motor mounting/coupling mechanism is simpler. Ammbusher new blades are about $65/pair two years ago. Bradco wants twice that, and you have to order thru a dealer. A complete Ammbusher gear box was less than $300 a year ago, sweet. Bradco has a stumpjumper on the blade mechanism; Ammbusher does not unless they've changed. I have really abused the Ammbusher doing Gambol Oak up to 3 or 4" dia, with no issues. It won't mulch stuff that large, but it will strip all the brush off the stem so stem cleanup is pretty simple after mowing. :) ---RC
i have a 60" bobcat brushcat here in michigan i will let go for $3500.00

Tommy

i have a 60" bobcat brushcat here in michigan i will let go for $3500.00
I have a Bush Moster that is 6' heavy about 2000 lbs, dip in gav, no gear box all hyd, made in Al, I had bradco, like day an night, I would buy the same thing again, about $7300 just my 2 cent, Tommy Ms

Kermode

I have a Bush Moster that is 6' heavy about 2000 lbs, dip in gav, no gear box all hyd, made in Al, I had bradco, like day an night, I would buy the same thing again, about $7300 just my 2 cent, Tommy Ms
I have a 5' Bobcat brushcutter and I would not buy another one. Broke one of the shafts in the angle drive with less than 100 hours on it. Bobcat refused to warranty it. I have maybe 150 hours on it now and it sounds like I need new bearings in the back roller. Built too light and too complicated for what it is to be used for. That is, tearing up brush and small trees. Would make a good lawnmower though.