Brakes not releasing on 751 Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Lavorn

Finally got my 751 Pug powered Bobcat going again, no thanks to the dealer who said the fuel tank tube is an out dated part no longer made and sold me all new parts to replace them with and which didn't work! I just made my own tube to go to the bottom of the tank? Now I can't find a replacement fuel/water separator filter and the Bobcat dealer says mine is weird because it has two fuel filters on it and they no longer carry this Bobcat brand of water separator? A good reason to buy Cat, JD, Case or Volvo! Now my problem is that when I get in the machine it is common for me to have to raise and lower multiple times the restraint cage to get the brakes to turn off. I realize that there is a switch under the seat as ll as the one on the restraint arm. How do it find out which is the problem and replace it?

Tazza

Staff member
The problem will be your seat bar sensor. You need to remove the bar to get access. It is either worn, or out of adjustment for it to not always work.
The fuel filters, get the numbers and take it to a truck parts shop. Filters will be off the shelf.
As standard they only had one filter, people installed a second one to ensure the fuel is super clean. The pumps do not like contamination at all!

OP
OP
L

Lavorn

The problem will be your seat bar sensor. You need to remove the bar to get access. It is either worn, or out of adjustment for it to not always work.
The fuel filters, get the numbers and take it to a truck parts shop. Filters will be off the shelf.
As standard they only had one filter, people installed a second one to ensure the fuel is super clean. The pumps do not like contamination at all!
The problem with the filter is that the numbers are totally worn off so they do not show. Just the Bobcat brand shows. Are you suggesting that that the brake release problem is the seat sensor or with the safety bar sensor? The safety bar sensor is on the left side of the cage and is fully exposed? Can you send a pix of which you suggest it might be? Thank you.

OP
OP
L

Lavorn

The problem with the filter is that the numbers are totally worn off so they do not show. Just the Bobcat brand shows. Are you suggesting that that the brake release problem is the seat sensor or with the safety bar sensor? The safety bar sensor is on the left side of the cage and is fully exposed? Can you send a pix of which you suggest it might be? Thank you.
Oops! There is the other seat bar sensor on the left side of the cab which is a nylon pad on a steel slider and it goes down when the safety bar is down. The actual sensor would be under the cab and this is just the actuator lever which would go to the sending/sensing unit. Are you suggesting that this may be the problem? Surely one could test by just wring around the sensing unit if I knew exactly which was what?

Bobcatdan

Oops! There is the other seat bar sensor on the left side of the cab which is a nylon pad on a steel slider and it goes down when the safety bar is down. The actual sensor would be under the cab and this is just the actuator lever which would go to the sending/sensing unit. Are you suggesting that this may be the problem? Surely one could test by just wring around the sensing unit if I knew exactly which was what?
All parts are available for a 751. Their pick up tube is odd 1/2" vs std 1/4" but filters should be no problem.

OP
OP
L

Lavorn

All parts are available for a 751. Their pick up tube is odd 1/2" vs std 1/4" but filters should be no problem.
Actually I went to the ONE Bobcat dealer in the STATE again yesterday and they don't have the 1/2 tube and screen for the fuel pick up and say it is a discontinued item? They also Informed me that they don't stock the Fuel Filter I need and it is a special order item as no one uses the duel filter system & it is not needed. I will just figure out how to convert my double filter system to a single. Any ideas? The dealer is 50 mi away so it is a big deal to go there and they aren't much help. Regarding the seat switch and safety cage switch, can I not just wire around the switches? I assume that there is one under the seat sensing weight on the seat and the other must be on the left side of the cab attached to the safety arm? I assume that simply connecting the wires going to the switch to each other and around the switch will close the circuit and end the problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

jerry

Actually I went to the ONE Bobcat dealer in the STATE again yesterday and they don't have the 1/2 tube and screen for the fuel pick up and say it is a discontinued item? They also Informed me that they don't stock the Fuel Filter I need and it is a special order item as no one uses the duel filter system & it is not needed. I will just figure out how to convert my double filter system to a single. Any ideas? The dealer is 50 mi away so it is a big deal to go there and they aren't much help. Regarding the seat switch and safety cage switch, can I not just wire around the switches? I assume that there is one under the seat sensing weight on the seat and the other must be on the left side of the cab attached to the safety arm? I assume that simply connecting the wires going to the switch to each other and around the switch will close the circuit and end the problem? Any suggestions? Thanks
I'd try another dealer toll free to see, freight from another state would not be that much and the dealers I have been to were always helpful. Be sure if you bypass a switch that you are not creating a constant battery draw. There is current in that switch wire on some machines whether or not the key switch is on.

Tazza

Staff member
I'd try another dealer toll free to see, freight from another state would not be that much and the dealers I have been to were always helpful. Be sure if you bypass a switch that you are not creating a constant battery draw. There is current in that switch wire on some machines whether or not the key switch is on.
I got air filters from a truck shop... They had a cross reference. Sorry, i don't still have the numbers though.....

OP
OP
L

Lavorn

I got air filters from a truck shop... They had a cross reference. Sorry, i don't still have the numbers though.....
Since the Bobcat dealer says that we don't. Red two filters we just braced the fuel line nipple on to the 1/2 pipe tube coming out of the fuel bar and eliminated the second filter, which we couldn't find anywhere and to special order it was over $40 plus shipping. Still working on the brakes, but will take that carefully and one at a time. Thanks for the input. Hearing from you pros helps me not feel so isolated out here in the Country. :):):)

mahans7

Since the Bobcat dealer says that we don't. Red two filters we just braced the fuel line nipple on to the 1/2 pipe tube coming out of the fuel bar and eliminated the second filter, which we couldn't find anywhere and to special order it was over $40 plus shipping. Still working on the brakes, but will take that carefully and one at a time. Thanks for the input. Hearing from you pros helps me not feel so isolated out here in the Country. :):):)
I agree, these guys are great and I wouldn't have bought my 743 if not for the help they offer. Where in the Country are you?

Tman0001

Its been my experience that mosst dealers DONT want to really help..they prefer you bring the machine to them to try and fix just to keep up thier billings. Furthermore they wil tell u most anything just to sell U something even when they dont have a clue themselves on what the problem is. NEVER trust Dealers!

mrdeere1959

Its been my experience that mosst dealers DONT want to really help..they prefer you bring the machine to them to try and fix just to keep up thier billings. Furthermore they wil tell u most anything just to sell U something even when they dont have a clue themselves on what the problem is. NEVER trust Dealers!
Hey Thats not fair. We will bend over backwards to help a customer. Thats how we roll out here in the west.

hemidrag

Hey Thats not fair. We will bend over backwards to help a customer. Thats how we roll out here in the west.
Sorry to hear you have a bad dealer. I live in Maine and it is because of my dealer that I have bought bobcats. They are great, I can't count the number of times they have helped me out.....

Tman0001

Sorry to hear you have a bad dealer. I live in Maine and it is because of my dealer that I have bought bobcats. They are great, I can't count the number of times they have helped me out.....
I think I newed to move lol..Our dealer out here (only one) is useless for information or assistance on phone. The only response tghey know ..is bring it in and we will look at it. at $100.00 per hour..I dont think so!

melli

I think I newed to move lol..Our dealer out here (only one) is useless for information or assistance on phone. The only response tghey know ..is bring it in and we will look at it. at $100.00 per hour..I dont think so!
I hear you Tman...I get that feeling at times, although I suspect they get a lot of over the phone/email diagnostic requests. Plus, in their eyes, I probably take the prize for stupid questions. That being said, short of the excavator blowing up, I am going to try to fix whatever, as it would be a 100km trip one way, plus a ferry. It would be a whole day affair both ways. Cost me $600 easy...$1000 if I hired someone. My feeling is that they are making their dollar on parts, so a little advice shouldn't be painful. I drop 1k a year on them...and will likely continue as long as I own Bobby. Cryptic emails like valve has known to have air issues...it is deep in the bowels of machine...requires removal of floor plates...^%%$$#

Tazza

Staff member
I hear you Tman...I get that feeling at times, although I suspect they get a lot of over the phone/email diagnostic requests. Plus, in their eyes, I probably take the prize for stupid questions. That being said, short of the excavator blowing up, I am going to try to fix whatever, as it would be a 100km trip one way, plus a ferry. It would be a whole day affair both ways. Cost me $600 easy...$1000 if I hired someone. My feeling is that they are making their dollar on parts, so a little advice shouldn't be painful. I drop 1k a year on them...and will likely continue as long as I own Bobby. Cryptic emails like valve has known to have air issues...it is deep in the bowels of machine...requires removal of floor plates...^%%$$#
You always hear stories of some horrible dealers but i have yet to deal with one. My local guys are great to talk to. I used to pick the brains of their service department, they spent the time to try and figure out the issues with me.
My not so local dealer was great as well, i'd give hime a few thousand $ worth of orders, he would have no issues sourcing them and shipping them to me. Any problems i had, he would talk to his service team as well.
I understand that some dealers don't want to tell you how to fix it as they won't make the money, but in most cases, you go and buy parts off them anyway, so why not spend a little time to keep the customer happy and they will keep coming back?