Brake lock 853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

The previous owner removed the 'rod' under the solinoid that ingages the brake?. Is it a simple steel rod or must I order one from bobcat?. I believe I can make it if, it's just a steel rod and I have the measurements?.

skidsteer.ca

It could be made , but I'd check the price first. Do you still have the bars that go on the bottom of the rod? These drop into discs. One attach to the rh and LH drives respectively.
It would seem to me these bars would have to be removed also to prevent them jambing in the discs. I usually just put a hose clamp around the rod to hold it up if I have park brake trouble, or you can remove the next set of bolts holding the brake rod and bars to the chain case and pull the assembly right out.
My other though is why did he remove the brake. They must have been having some trouble with it. They are a terrible thing when they have intermittant power problems. You cruising along (usually at full tilt ) and WHAM the brake drops because the solinoid lost power for some reason. I have had this happen on both my 553 and 853 and was lucky enough no to smash anything up. However when I got the 553, I drained the chain case and there was a smashed up brake bar laying in the bottom. The brake had been fixed but the trash had never been removed.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

It could be made , but I'd check the price first. Do you still have the bars that go on the bottom of the rod? These drop into discs. One attach to the rh and LH drives respectively.
It would seem to me these bars would have to be removed also to prevent them jambing in the discs. I usually just put a hose clamp around the rod to hold it up if I have park brake trouble, or you can remove the next set of bolts holding the brake rod and bars to the chain case and pull the assembly right out.
My other though is why did he remove the brake. They must have been having some trouble with it. They are a terrible thing when they have intermittant power problems. You cruising along (usually at full tilt ) and WHAM the brake drops because the solinoid lost power for some reason. I have had this happen on both my 553 and 853 and was lucky enough no to smash anything up. However when I got the 553, I drained the chain case and there was a smashed up brake bar laying in the bottom. The brake had been fixed but the trash had never been removed.
Ken
Whoa! Ken, That's not good.... I might just leave it alone, with the attachment down it's not going anywhere..............

skidsteer.ca

Whoa! Ken, That's not good.... I might just leave it alone, with the attachment down it's not going anywhere..............
If you need to park on a hill or sometime I engage mine for tough backhoe digging, but otherwise they are not needed. They are generally pretty trouble free. But I have had temporary problems on 2 out of my 3 bobcats. The bad part about them "self engaging" is they are a park pin, not a brake. and they do not slip. When the bars drop and the disc catch them its 100% positive
Ken

Fishfiles

If you need to park on a hill or sometime I engage mine for tough backhoe digging, but otherwise they are not needed. They are generally pretty trouble free. But I have had temporary problems on 2 out of my 3 bobcats. The bad part about them "self engaging" is they are a park pin, not a brake. and they do not slip. When the bars drop and the disc catch them its 100% positive
Ken
sounds like the brake has been gutted , there a few more parts you will probally need to put it back together , wedge , spring , bolt , nut , solinoid plunger , spring cup on end of plunger , then as skid steer said you need to find the problem of why it was locking up that the previous owner stripped it

OP
OP
P

perry

sounds like the brake has been gutted , there a few more parts you will probally need to put it back together , wedge , spring , bolt , nut , solinoid plunger , spring cup on end of plunger , then as skid steer said you need to find the problem of why it was locking up that the previous owner stripped it
I haven't looked inside and no problems associated with the brake so, I'll let it be for now.

Thanks

[email protected]

Fish, shoot me an email, you don't have one.
853 BRAKE/CHAIN ISSUES, manual brake/. Forgive me for not starting a new thread, but I'm new to any kind of forum, and for the life of me cant figure how to start a new one. I've got a FUBAR here I'm gonna have to work through and was hoping for some experience better than mine. Ive owned this unit since about '98, logged with it for two years but have never worked it hard. Since then i just use it as a homeowner. I've never had any trouble with it other than alternator until yesterday the manual brake locked up and wouldn't release. I removed front chain cover as that seemed simplest to not get in to too much trouble right to start. Surprisingly, the chain case was completely dry as though it had never been filled, just dry rust. The chains and sprockets even seem in good shape, just a little surface rust. I'm ordering a repair manual but hoped for some quick advice as id like to get it going before book gets here. I can clean chain case and fill it with oil, but I'm somewhat worried about bearings and wheel seals. It seems that the wheel bearings would lube from chain case?? I can easily see when i fill chain case it will start pouring from wheel seals. Anybody brave enough to venture a thought here? {other than my stupidity at having run it for 22 years with a dry case] Thanks

flyerdan

853 BRAKE/CHAIN ISSUES, manual brake/. Forgive me for not starting a new thread, but I'm new to any kind of forum, and for the life of me cant figure how to start a new one. I've got a FUBAR here I'm gonna have to work through and was hoping for some experience better than mine. Ive owned this unit since about '98, logged with it for two years but have never worked it hard. Since then i just use it as a homeowner. I've never had any trouble with it other than alternator until yesterday the manual brake locked up and wouldn't release. I removed front chain cover as that seemed simplest to not get in to too much trouble right to start. Surprisingly, the chain case was completely dry as though it had never been filled, just dry rust. The chains and sprockets even seem in good shape, just a little surface rust. I'm ordering a repair manual but hoped for some quick advice as id like to get it going before book gets here. I can clean chain case and fill it with oil, but I'm somewhat worried about bearings and wheel seals. It seems that the wheel bearings would lube from chain case?? I can easily see when i fill chain case it will start pouring from wheel seals. Anybody brave enough to venture a thought here? {other than my stupidity at having run it for 22 years with a dry case] Thanks
There should be a couple of 853 books in the manual thread, you might grab one of them and read up on the brake. Hopefully that's all it will be; if a bearing packed it in that could be a whole other issue.
Chances are that it will leak from the axle seals as they do rely on the oil to keep them pliable, but the hubs come off so changing them out won't be too bad.