Bought used SkidSteer, was a little misled. Opinions?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

PropWash

Greetings, I recently purchased a used SkidSteer from a dealer. The dealer advertised the unit with some pictures (small low res ones) and claimed no 'cosmetic or mechanical damage'. As it is a dealer, I expected to pay a premium as opposed to buying from auction or private sale. When the unit arrived, it clearly has a dent / bend in the roll case, as well as a crushed step on the boom. Nevermind all the rust, scrapes, and scratches. While I know its not going to harm operation, but wouldnt you think that if you paid a premium price, and clearly the unit was damaged, and poorly repainted, that I might have ground to demand a refund or concession? Now, I paid via credit card and could easily put a stop payment on the charge. but I dont want to 'bulldog' anybody yet. Thoughts? (I dont want to rat out who it is yet, but if I dont get resolution, be sure I'll let you all know)

sterlclan

I would say you are entitled to some compensation depending on how much you paid.Thats why I like to see them in person. good luck Jeff

skidsteer.ca

I would say you are entitled to some compensation depending on how much you paid.Thats why I like to see them in person. good luck Jeff
I'd be complaining,
I bought one machine like that when the seller "didn't have time to get hi res pictures", and sometimes I wished I had just left it there.
I went to pay and pick it up and was pretty disapointed. I could have walked away but had driven 300 miles to get it. I ended up taking it after they through in a used set of forks, but it cost me a least a grand in extra parts and effort to fix it up, but it still had some or of the scars, and I see alot cleaner units bringing what I paid.
Its buyer beware, so now if there is no good pics, you can count me out.
Ken

OP
OP
PropWash

PropWash

I'd be complaining,
I bought one machine like that when the seller "didn't have time to get hi res pictures", and sometimes I wished I had just left it there.
I went to pay and pick it up and was pretty disapointed. I could have walked away but had driven 300 miles to get it. I ended up taking it after they through in a used set of forks, but it cost me a least a grand in extra parts and effort to fix it up, but it still had some or of the scars, and I see alot cleaner units bringing what I paid.
Its buyer beware, so now if there is no good pics, you can count me out.
Ken
Well, the dealer quickly reponded. I presented my case, and offered 3 options. 1: refund minus my initial shipping costs (id assume that much) 2: $2200 concession (on a 18k purchase price) 3: Repair my major issues They are willing to take option 1, or refund me $1000 in concession. I am inclined to take the concession and just be done with it, its still a decent machine. The manager of the place is working with me, the salesman, while worked hard before the sale, was quick to pass the blame to me citing 'my expectations were unreasonable' and that 'he had sent all kind of pictures'. Well... as mentioned before, you cant see everything in low res pictures. As I said, there is little interpretation when you say 'no cosmetic or mechanical damage' Here are links to the machine with the new bucket, and no damage. http://propwash.txf.com/images/ASVDelivery/ http://propwash.txf.com/images/ASVRC50damage/ Also, any idea why my linfeeds or carrage returns dont show up on my posts?

farmboy55

Well, the dealer quickly reponded. I presented my case, and offered 3 options. 1: refund minus my initial shipping costs (id assume that much) 2: $2200 concession (on a 18k purchase price) 3: Repair my major issues They are willing to take option 1, or refund me $1000 in concession. I am inclined to take the concession and just be done with it, its still a decent machine. The manager of the place is working with me, the salesman, while worked hard before the sale, was quick to pass the blame to me citing 'my expectations were unreasonable' and that 'he had sent all kind of pictures'. Well... as mentioned before, you cant see everything in low res pictures. As I said, there is little interpretation when you say 'no cosmetic or mechanical damage' Here are links to the machine with the new bucket, and no damage. http://propwash.txf.com/images/ASVDelivery/ http://propwash.txf.com/images/ASVRC50damage/ Also, any idea why my linfeeds or carrage returns dont show up on my posts?
Run the hell out of it and see if it has any problems before you decide.

skidsteer.ca

Run the hell out of it and see if it has any problems before you decide.
Find the profile link near the top of most pages and open it. put a check in the box beside
[TD]
Use HTML Editor (Free Text Box)​
[/TD]
[TD]
at the bottom of the profile page.
Then you should be able to make paragraphs.
I'd say look it over real close for any other problems, and try it out some.
Sure you bought a used machine but a good dealer stating no cos dam would make me feel it was a straight machine regardless or hours, and if there was damage they should have sent you some detailed pics of it so you could decide. Not present something that is damaged as if it was well cared for and used properly.
I don't consider bang and bent up to be normal wear. It is abuse, and who ever abused it should take the loss, and then the sales department should sell it at a price that reflects that and disclose the problem. Sure it does not affect the performance, but it does affect the resale value, whoever you have to sell to is not going to like it either.
Ken[/TD]

OP
OP
PropWash

PropWash

Find the profile link near the top of most pages and open it. put a check in the box beside

Use HTML Editor (Free Text Box)

at the bottom of the profile page.
Then you should be able to make paragraphs.
I'd say look it over real close for any other problems, and try it out some.
Sure you bought a used machine but a good dealer stating no cos dam would make me feel it was a straight machine regardless or hours, and if there was damage they should have sent you some detailed pics of it so you could decide. Not present something that is damaged as if it was well cared for and used properly.
I don't consider bang and bent up to be normal wear. It is abuse, and who ever abused it should take the loss, and then the sales department should sell it at a price that reflects that and disclose the problem. Sure it does not affect the performance, but it does affect the resale value, whoever you have to sell to is not going to like it either.
Ken
So, I had a chance to run it for a little over an hour.
I ran the bucket, and the grapple for just over an hour, and it stalled 3 times on minor inclines.
On the 3rd time, I was trying to load up a 300 pount log into the grapple, then it just stalled.
It wouldnt start back up at zero throttle
Wouldnt at partial throttle.
Wouldnt fire at all.
After jumping it with the jeep, then after charging with a charger for an hour, still no avail.
Its a perkins diesel with 1100 hours. Fluids seem good, reads full on the fuel level.
Its about 30 degrees outside, and it seemed to run just fine, then quit and wouldnt restart?
Is this a sign that I should get my money back and run?
Its a 2004 ASV RC50 with 1100 or so hours (350 on the tracks). I paid $17,900.00 from a ASV dealer, who is offering a $1000 concession so far (because of the mis-represented damage) to take it down to $16,900.00

Tazza

Staff member
So, I had a chance to run it for a little over an hour.
I ran the bucket, and the grapple for just over an hour, and it stalled 3 times on minor inclines.
On the 3rd time, I was trying to load up a 300 pount log into the grapple, then it just stalled.
It wouldnt start back up at zero throttle
Wouldnt at partial throttle.
Wouldnt fire at all.
After jumping it with the jeep, then after charging with a charger for an hour, still no avail.
Its a perkins diesel with 1100 hours. Fluids seem good, reads full on the fuel level.
Its about 30 degrees outside, and it seemed to run just fine, then quit and wouldnt restart?
Is this a sign that I should get my money back and run?
Its a 2004 ASV RC50 with 1100 or so hours (350 on the tracks). I paid $17,900.00 from a ASV dealer, who is offering a $1000 concession so far (because of the mis-represented damage) to take it down to $16,900.00
If you had the throttle up at near max and driving at a reasonable pace the engine should be more than capable of that load. The re-starting problem sounds very odd, maybee low on fuel?
No matter what the throttle is at it should start if there is no load.
A 300lb load is nothing for a machine like that, mine can easily do 6-700 KG and i have even managed to pick up over a tonne, but the machine was tipping. It didn't stall and even drove up a 30 - 40 degree hill. I would say there is a problem some where, it shouldn't have problems like this.
Check that you have no air in the fuel system.
Even if its cold outside, if you had it running it should re-start instantly

OP
OP
PropWash

PropWash

If you had the throttle up at near max and driving at a reasonable pace the engine should be more than capable of that load. The re-starting problem sounds very odd, maybee low on fuel?
No matter what the throttle is at it should start if there is no load.
A 300lb load is nothing for a machine like that, mine can easily do 6-700 KG and i have even managed to pick up over a tonne, but the machine was tipping. It didn't stall and even drove up a 30 - 40 degree hill. I would say there is a problem some where, it shouldn't have problems like this.
Check that you have no air in the fuel system.
Even if its cold outside, if you had it running it should re-start instantly
http://propwash.txf.com/images/TractoAtHome/

There are the pics of it in my yard. There you can see the grade, and the load. A small log.

skidsteer.ca

http://propwash.txf.com/images/TractoAtHome/

There are the pics of it in my yard. There you can see the grade, and the load. A small log.
The load is nothing, you could jamb the grapple full of them and run away with it.
Change you fuel filter, it may have water contamination or just be duo to be changed.
Especially if it was last used in warm weather and it appears to be freezing where you are now.
If that don't cure it call the dealer and tell them it keeps losing power, stalling and it won't restart. Its hard to say what the trouble is it, could be minor, likely is. however it could be a sign of needing a new injection pump to and that won't be cheap.
If it started ok cold, the engine itself is likely not in need of anthing serious. it sounds like a fuel problem. So start with the filter(s) fuel level etc.
If that don't cure it look for leaking or worn fuel lines. After that its "fuel lift pump", does it have a hand primer? will it start if you manually operate that,
The test for air leaks into the fuel system is to remove return line to the tank and submerge the end in fuel, run engine and look for bubbles coming out of the line, there should be none. (sign of leak on to engine side of fuel system)
then its injection pump, at which point I would definitely be talking to the seller
Ken

OP
OP
PropWash

PropWash

The load is nothing, you could jamb the grapple full of them and run away with it.
Change you fuel filter, it may have water contamination or just be duo to be changed.
Especially if it was last used in warm weather and it appears to be freezing where you are now.
If that don't cure it call the dealer and tell them it keeps losing power, stalling and it won't restart. Its hard to say what the trouble is it, could be minor, likely is. however it could be a sign of needing a new injection pump to and that won't be cheap.
If it started ok cold, the engine itself is likely not in need of anthing serious. it sounds like a fuel problem. So start with the filter(s) fuel level etc.
If that don't cure it look for leaking or worn fuel lines. After that its "fuel lift pump", does it have a hand primer? will it start if you manually operate that,
The test for air leaks into the fuel system is to remove return line to the tank and submerge the end in fuel, run engine and look for bubbles coming out of the line, there should be none. (sign of leak on to engine side of fuel system)
then its injection pump, at which point I would definitely be talking to the seller
Ken
Thanks for the tips!
I called my local ASV dealer (rentalex) and they are sending a tech to look at it.
If it's something simple, I may keep the machine.
If not, It has officially joined the ranks of mt Gehl 2600 and will have already consumed more of my time making it work, than using it!
It will go back to Florida is its something major, or if it is clear that there are more 'small problems' that werent disclosed.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the tips!
I called my local ASV dealer (rentalex) and they are sending a tech to look at it.
If it's something simple, I may keep the machine.
If not, It has officially joined the ranks of mt Gehl 2600 and will have already consumed more of my time making it work, than using it!
It will go back to Florida is its something major, or if it is clear that there are more 'small problems' that werent disclosed.
If those hours are right I'd think it should be minor. Lets hope,, good luck
Ken

farmboy55

If those hours are right I'd think it should be minor. Lets hope,, good luck
Ken
I hope it work's out OK for ya. how do you like the grapple bucket? have you used it much and have you had any problem with the bottom tines bending? I've seen what look's like your's on e-bay. but haven't seen the thing for real to see how it's made. Just wondering. dennis

OP
OP
PropWash

PropWash

I hope it work's out OK for ya. how do you like the grapple bucket? have you used it much and have you had any problem with the bottom tines bending? I've seen what look's like your's on e-bay. but haven't seen the thing for real to see how it's made. Just wondering. dennis
Ok, got it running. Sure enough, it was out of fuel!
So, to recap, a machine that was advertised as 'no cosmetic or mechanical damage' had:
1: Inop Fuel Gauge
2: Missing angle indicator
3: Crushed step
4: Dented in front bar on roll cage / cockpit
5: Used good condition bucked instead of promised NEW bucket
They offered to take the machine back and refund my money minus initial shipping, or a $1000 rebate on the price
Today in light of the bad fuel gauge and the time I had to fix it (and paid $65 for a ASV dealer tech housecall to verify it was a bad gauge in the process), I countered with a $1250 rebate and we will call the deal closed.
If the dealer says no, It looks like I'll probably be sending it back. I hate to lose the money on the shipping, but I have an issue with rewarding someone for not being clear with the facts.
Misrepresentation is wrong regardless of being deliberate, or a result of neglegence.

skidsteer.ca

Ok, got it running. Sure enough, it was out of fuel!
So, to recap, a machine that was advertised as 'no cosmetic or mechanical damage' had:
1: Inop Fuel Gauge
2: Missing angle indicator
3: Crushed step
4: Dented in front bar on roll cage / cockpit
5: Used good condition bucked instead of promised NEW bucket
They offered to take the machine back and refund my money minus initial shipping, or a $1000 rebate on the price
Today in light of the bad fuel gauge and the time I had to fix it (and paid $65 for a ASV dealer tech housecall to verify it was a bad gauge in the process), I countered with a $1250 rebate and we will call the deal closed.
If the dealer says no, It looks like I'll probably be sending it back. I hate to lose the money on the shipping, but I have an issue with rewarding someone for not being clear with the facts.
Misrepresentation is wrong regardless of being deliberate, or a result of neglegence.
My bet is they will meet your terms.
Cost them more then that to go through the sales process again.
If you send it back, maybe forget to include something...ooops ;)

Ken

OP
OP
PropWash

PropWash

My bet is they will meet your terms.
Cost them more then that to go through the sales process again.
If you send it back, maybe forget to include something...ooops ;)

Ken
They agreed to my terms. The customer service guy was great, and I do believe that he and the sales person understood my issues, and took responsibility for them.
I'm guessing they will take heed and will work harder to disclose issues as well as check the machins more carfully before shipping.

Latest posts