Bought an old IH with a diesel Isuzu C201 re-power. Very low power, have quesitons.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pcweber

So someone did a nice job fitting it and getting all the fuel lines, filters, coolant plumbing, engine mounted, etc. and when they were done the thing is very "boggy". Nearly stalls it just driving it around and even tilting the bucket. (surpisingly lifting the bucket is not near the load tilting it is even empty.) Anyhow. they gave up and bought a Bobcat and threw this thing on Craigslist so now I have it. I have seen a few posts about C201 repowers. The engine runs very smooth, starts decent so seems it should be fine. THe skid originally had a 30HP Wisconsin so this thing should be fine. Any input, ideas, etc?

OP
OP
P

pcweber

A few observations. 1. There is no lift pump at all and the fuel tank is 3 ft. below the engine. Wonder if the C201 needs a lift fuel pump? 2. Is there a way to check cylinder contribution on a direct injection diesel like the old days of pulling the plug wire off a V8? 3. These engine don't look to have a governor. I assume this is not an issue or would help if at full throttle the engine still bogs?

Tazza

Staff member
A few observations. 1. There is no lift pump at all and the fuel tank is 3 ft. below the engine. Wonder if the C201 needs a lift fuel pump? 2. Is there a way to check cylinder contribution on a direct injection diesel like the old days of pulling the plug wire off a V8? 3. These engine don't look to have a governor. I assume this is not an issue or would help if at full throttle the engine still bogs?
From what i can see, the new engine has about 27hp, so that is about right.
The way to check to see if a cylinder isn't fring can be done by loosening the injector high pressure line. It will leak fuel out, but you can clean that up. If the engine runs smooth, i don't believe you have any dead cylinders.
The govenor is still needed i believe, if you have a steady load i can see just setting it at X speed, like for a reefer engine, but the load is always changing.
If you think it could be a fuel delivery issue, i'd hook up a hand primer, give it a good pump and get someone to try and move or lift/tilt, see if it runs better.

OP
OP
P

pcweber

From what i can see, the new engine has about 27hp, so that is about right.
The way to check to see if a cylinder isn't fring can be done by loosening the injector high pressure line. It will leak fuel out, but you can clean that up. If the engine runs smooth, i don't believe you have any dead cylinders.
The govenor is still needed i believe, if you have a steady load i can see just setting it at X speed, like for a reefer engine, but the load is always changing.
If you think it could be a fuel delivery issue, i'd hook up a hand primer, give it a good pump and get someone to try and move or lift/tilt, see if it runs better.
I found my power issue. The fuel shut off flipper was only 1/2 opened byt he solenoid. Moved it to the inside hole on the flipper so it opens all the way and I have at least 5 times the power.
I had to turn the high side throttle stop in about 3/4 inch to keep the thing from over reving. PM me if you have a C201 and wonder if yours is getting full fuel.