Bolt on tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

banzo

Anybody have any experience with the bolt on track systems? I'm not talking about the ones you slip on over tires, I'm talking about the track system that replaces your wheels. Loegering makes the VTS. I don't know if anyone else makes one. I'm thinking I have to re-tread for the winter, and instead of the tire investment, maybe I should spend a little more and get the track system. If I do that, my summer renter will love it.

skidsteer.ca

I think they are great if you need them for mud. But just like a ctl the operating expense goes up considerably and they put more demand on the engine to turn them compared to tires. I think this is why you only seem to see them on the larger machines with more hp.
Don't believe they are the hot setup for snow. Most ctls have poorer traction then a wheel machine. Also while the renters would like them in summer your bottom line may suffer because of higher maintenance costs. Rip a tire there goes $150, rip a track and its more like $2000
Ken

coreya3212

I think they are great if you need them for mud. But just like a ctl the operating expense goes up considerably and they put more demand on the engine to turn them compared to tires. I think this is why you only seem to see them on the larger machines with more hp.
Don't believe they are the hot setup for snow. Most ctls have poorer traction then a wheel machine. Also while the renters would like them in summer your bottom line may suffer because of higher maintenance costs. Rip a tire there goes $150, rip a track and its more like $2000
Ken
Ken, is that true? Track loaders have less traction in snow then a wheel skid steer??

skidsteer.ca

Ken, is that true? Track loaders have less traction in snow then a wheel skid steer??
Yes, have you ever driven a 4x4 with big mud tires in snow. Useless. The track lugs are too big and have sloped sides on the lug, nothing square that can bite. Just like a ski.
I think bobcat finally introduced a snow track this year, now if you though buying snow tires was expensive.......

coreya3212

Yes, have you ever driven a 4x4 with big mud tires in snow. Useless. The track lugs are too big and have sloped sides on the lug, nothing square that can bite. Just like a ski.
I think bobcat finally introduced a snow track this year, now if you though buying snow tires was expensive.......
That does make some sense. I dont read anything in the track loaders section, and I had never heard that. So in mud the track loaders are better but worse in snow. Good to know. Not that I will be getting a track loader anytime soon!!

OP
OP
banzo

banzo

That does make some sense. I dont read anything in the track loaders section, and I had never heard that. So in mud the track loaders are better but worse in snow. Good to know. Not that I will be getting a track loader anytime soon!!
My ASV salesman showed me this video when I was in his office: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjYT8lQN6YU Didn't convince me ASV was a good machine, but thought it was interesting. We used to hire a soil company to do the snow clearing at a car dealer I worked at, and they used Cat 247B's. Loved them. They used them to top snow piles (push the peak back) at the back of our lot. I haven't talked to anybody who used the bolt on units, so I dont' have a firm opinion on them. My summer renter builds in ground pools, so he want's tracks.

sp6x6

My ASV salesman showed me this video when I was in his office: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjYT8lQN6YU Didn't convince me ASV was a good machine, but thought it was interesting. We used to hire a soil company to do the snow clearing at a car dealer I worked at, and they used Cat 247B's. Loved them. They used them to top snow piles (push the peak back) at the back of our lot. I haven't talked to anybody who used the bolt on units, so I dont' have a firm opinion on them. My summer renter builds in ground pools, so he want's tracks.
Imove snow in the mountains of MT, ON DRIVES WITH INCLINE that get iced up , tracks are done at that point, I have buddys that call me when they cant do their accounts. For snow on snow or large lots , tracks are great