Bogging down....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

Tazza, or anyone. Will bogging down harm the machine?, or will the pressure reliefs give enough protection?.

Tazza

Staff member
I see no reason it could cause harm, as you said the relief valves will kick in before you over pressurize the pumps and the engine will simply bog down not allowing you to pull too much power out that could cause damage. I see no rick of damage.... The motor is sized correctly for the pumps too.

OP
OP
P

perry

I see no reason it could cause harm, as you said the relief valves will kick in before you over pressurize the pumps and the engine will simply bog down not allowing you to pull too much power out that could cause damage. I see no rick of damage.... The motor is sized correctly for the pumps too.
I got into a habit of loading the bucket until the engine almost stopped, thought it might not be such a good practice...

Tazza

Staff member
I got into a habit of loading the bucket until the engine almost stopped, thought it might not be such a good practice...

I have done that quite a few times too, I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time though. Can you try easing up in the levers a bit? my manuals have always told me you have more force if you ease up a bit on the levers. I know you have the advantage of inertia when moving at speed to help cut into a pile of dirt.
My main concern would be the pump, when you put that much load you actually can feel the sticks shake in your hands because the pistons feel like they are leaving the yoke and smacking back when under pressure and could be causing wear to the piston shoes?
Anyone else have an opinion?

mllud

I have done that quite a few times too, I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time though. Can you try easing up in the levers a bit? my manuals have always told me you have more force if you ease up a bit on the levers. I know you have the advantage of inertia when moving at speed to help cut into a pile of dirt.
My main concern would be the pump, when you put that much load you actually can feel the sticks shake in your hands because the pistons feel like they are leaving the yoke and smacking back when under pressure and could be causing wear to the piston shoes?
Anyone else have an opinion?
Im fairly new on a skid steer. I have a lot of hours on a D2 Cat. I was wondering about that. I havnt killed mine yet. {close} I was always tought not to load an engine down, I guess its knowing when to back off. It seems to me when you go in to get a bucket full and start to curl is when it loads down.
With tracks and foam filled the tires dont spin.My engine is newly rebuilt. I dont want to do damage. the book says to vary loads during break in. I had some blue smoke for about 10 to 15 hours . I have about 50 now. Runs clean.
When you add tracks your not allowing the tires to spin as on a stock machine. I still prefer the tracks but im sure they increase wear.

mllud

Im fairly new on a skid steer. I have a lot of hours on a D2 Cat. I was wondering about that. I havnt killed mine yet. {close} I was always tought not to load an engine down, I guess its knowing when to back off. It seems to me when you go in to get a bucket full and start to curl is when it loads down.
With tracks and foam filled the tires dont spin.My engine is newly rebuilt. I dont want to do damage. the book says to vary loads during break in. I had some blue smoke for about 10 to 15 hours . I have about 50 now. Runs clean.
When you add tracks your not allowing the tires to spin as on a stock machine. I still prefer the tracks but im sure they increase wear.
The reason I brought up the tracks not allowing the tires to spin is that if the tires spun wouldnt that fluid flowing thru that curcit relieve some pressure and give some of that power to the bucket. But sacraficing traction you arent going to get a much bite.Im still learning on getting the most out of my skid steer. I know it runs circle around what I could do with my old D2 cat. Hydrostatic power is great. Mike

skidsteer.ca

The reason I brought up the tracks not allowing the tires to spin is that if the tires spun wouldnt that fluid flowing thru that curcit relieve some pressure and give some of that power to the bucket. But sacraficing traction you arent going to get a much bite.Im still learning on getting the most out of my skid steer. I know it runs circle around what I could do with my old D2 cat. Hydrostatic power is great. Mike
I try to avoid pulling the engine down to the point where the sticks shake in my hands, I don'y feel it is a certain death, but wear is likely higher at this point.
As for tracks, yes they will cause higher system pressure because the machine can't get away from the load easily. But you get more done per hour so the wear versus work done depends on you use and jobsite.
Can a cars power train be worked harder on pavement or ice? Pavement of couse. But if the goal is to get to the end of the 1/4 mile, would you rather hook up and get there or spin the tires 10 miles on the way. And which way caused the least wear?
My food for thought.
Ken

sterlclan

I try to avoid pulling the engine down to the point where the sticks shake in my hands, I don'y feel it is a certain death, but wear is likely higher at this point.
As for tracks, yes they will cause higher system pressure because the machine can't get away from the load easily. But you get more done per hour so the wear versus work done depends on you use and jobsite.
Can a cars power train be worked harder on pavement or ice? Pavement of couse. But if the goal is to get to the end of the 1/4 mile, would you rather hook up and get there or spin the tires 10 miles on the way. And which way caused the least wear?
My food for thought.
Ken
I try to run just under bogging..........most power with less wear... bogging loads pumps and dosent help the engine either a stalled/loaded pump makes lots of heat heat kills pumps my 2c

OP
OP
P

perry

I try to run just under bogging..........most power with less wear... bogging loads pumps and dosent help the engine either a stalled/loaded pump makes lots of heat heat kills pumps my 2c
That kind of dawned on me during my last job, I was purposely trying to see just how far I could go. I'll let up now...

mllud

That kind of dawned on me during my last job, I was purposely trying to see just how far I could go. I'll let up now...
I also am working at getting that max power without bogging down. My new tooth bar is helping. Having the ability to apply the power to the point that you can with a skid steer is what makes it such an effective tool.
All the power in the world doesnt mean anything unless you can use it. Mike

sterlclan

I also am working at getting that max power without bogging down. My new tooth bar is helping. Having the ability to apply the power to the point that you can with a skid steer is what makes it such an effective tool.
All the power in the world doesnt mean anything unless you can use it. Mike
if you can learn where that "line" is you will be more effective at any task .its all about making the most of the equipment you have and maximizing production.......breakdowns don't help the bottom line at all.......Jeff

skiddz

if you can learn where that "line" is you will be more effective at any task .its all about making the most of the equipment you have and maximizing production.......breakdowns don't help the bottom line at all.......Jeff
You won't dammage anything as the reliefs are there to protect the system if overloaded. the less you move your handles, the more torque you have available to the drives, the farther you move your handles you get less torque but more speed. If you really think about it, on a skid steer, there really isn't a whole lot of oil available to operate both dives and hyd's. so ,if you drive into a pile to a point where the tires are spinning you have a good portion of your available GPM going through the drives instead of being available for your hyd's. Ideally, you would drive into a pile and start backing off of the sticks as you feel the resistance (sticks want to start shaking) as you let off the sticks,start rolling back the bucket, by the time the bucket is halfway rolled back you shouldn't be holding any presure on the sticks at all, now you can lift and drive away........rinse and repeat. If you spinning your wheels, your wasting time and energy.