Bobtach lever 853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

I replaced the arms bushings on my bobtack along with grease seals, after torking the bolts to 250 lbs. I raised the arms, pushed/pulled on the bobtach and noticed a little movement from side to side.
Should there be any movement?, should I order replacement pins.
Thanks

TriHonu

Sorry, don't know why I included 'lever'...
My 763 had some slop from side to side. It drove me crazy when I had the OTT tracks on. When the bucket was empty the plate would just pound side to side.
My service manual has no information on shimming the Bobtach other than the tilt cylinder. I asked my dealer and they said to just add some shim washers on each side. I found various thickness shim washers at the local farm store. I shimmed out all the play and have had no further issues.

OP
OP
P

perry

My 763 had some slop from side to side. It drove me crazy when I had the OTT tracks on. When the bucket was empty the plate would just pound side to side.
My service manual has no information on shimming the Bobtach other than the tilt cylinder. I asked my dealer and they said to just add some shim washers on each side. I found various thickness shim washers at the local farm store. I shimmed out all the play and have had no further issues.
I was wondering since the pins are tapered, if I put them in the lathe and cut some off the tapered end, that should (?) bring them to the outside more and give a firm fit?.

Tazza

Staff member
I was wondering since the pins are tapered, if I put them in the lathe and cut some off the tapered end, that should (?) bring them to the outside more and give a firm fit?.
That will do nothing. If you cut anything off the ends it will just shorten the pin and if you remove it from the end of the taper it will still sit the same length out but will have less to *grip* on the arm. Just get some nylon and make a spacer for each side and you are set! Worked a treat for me.

TriHonu

Are the pins wobbling in their bores? Or is the Bobtach able to slide on the pins side to side between the loader arms?
The only reason to shorten the pin would be if the pin is protruding all the way through the loader arm so the bolt wouldn't be able to pull it into its full seat.
If the Bobtach is sliding on the pins you can add shim washers on each pin to keeps the Bobtach centered between the loader arms.

OP
OP
P

perry

Are the pins wobbling in their bores? Or is the Bobtach able to slide on the pins side to side between the loader arms?
The only reason to shorten the pin would be if the pin is protruding all the way through the loader arm so the bolt wouldn't be able to pull it into its full seat.
If the Bobtach is sliding on the pins you can add shim washers on each pin to keeps the Bobtach centered between the loader arms.
No play, just a little side to side play, I happen to have a 2'x4'x1" plate of nylon I use for skids on the cobra. I'll make some spacers.
Thanks fella's

skidsteer.ca

No play, just a little side to side play, I happen to have a 2'x4'x1" plate of nylon I use for skids on the cobra. I'll make some spacers.
Thanks fella's
Tazza has always used nylon,
I have had no problems taking a grade 8 flat washer with an appropriate od and boring it out to slide over the pins. I even spring the loader arms apart slightly (.050) to get the final one in. Sure alot nice not to watch it slide back and forth wearing itself out for nothing.
Be sure to retorque your bobtach pins after a few hour. Sometimes it take a time or two to get them to seat, and the last thing you want is for them to come loose.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza has always used nylon,
I have had no problems taking a grade 8 flat washer with an appropriate od and boring it out to slide over the pins. I even spring the loader arms apart slightly (.050) to get the final one in. Sure alot nice not to watch it slide back and forth wearing itself out for nothing.
Be sure to retorque your bobtach pins after a few hour. Sometimes it take a time or two to get them to seat, and the last thing you want is for them to come loose.
Ken
Flat washers will also work no problems at all. The machine i'm currently working on had them and they went back in. The main reason i used nylon was because its easy to machine and you can easily cut them to be a nice snug fit. With washers you need to get a range of thick and thin unless you make them your self. which ever way you go, it will be the rite choice. The less movement from side to side the less dirt can enter the pivot points.

OP
OP
P

perry

Flat washers will also work no problems at all. The machine i'm currently working on had them and they went back in. The main reason i used nylon was because its easy to machine and you can easily cut them to be a nice snug fit. With washers you need to get a range of thick and thin unless you make them your self. which ever way you go, it will be the rite choice. The less movement from side to side the less dirt can enter the pivot points.
Thanks guys....