Bobcat Variable Sheave seal replacement parts!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobm500Cat

This is my DIY Variable sheave seal repair. If you review the following link this method effectively replaces items 17 through 21. You need every thing else. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=94950 Parts from Ace Hardware: qty 1 - 914-E @ $0.27 each. (this is a hollow lock pin - the real term/name eludes me at the moment) Dimensions: 3.33mm Diameter x 25mm long. qty 1 - 58193 - E @ $0.57 each. (this is a nylon bushing 7.77mm (8mm) diameter x 25 mm long. Add your favorite gasket sealer (silicon RTV blue is what I used) 1.) I trimmed the bushing length to 16mm - trimmed with a tube cutter to ensure a straight face. 2.) chucked up to a drill press the bushing marking 8mm in length and used a file to reduce diameter to 7mm or until snug into the center hole in cylinder shaft. Reference item number 16 in the linked post. This nylon busing is supper slippery and effectively replaces the spring, the washer and the oring listed - items 19, 18, 17. Because the bushing diameter was reduced, but I created a "step or shoulder" at 8mm in length, item number 20 is not needed, and I removed items 21 the original lock pins used to hold it. 3.) I cleaned the bushing with acetone and placed gasket sealer (blue RTV) around it for final assembly into the item number 16. 4.) Insert the new lock pin (P 914-E) to ensure complete alignment to the Roto swivel. 5.) Insert the Roto Swivel item 26 through 22 as normal. You should ensure the bushing is at the maximum possible length to allow the snap ring - item 25 to go in. This ensures a seal capable of minimum/no leaks as it is aligned and mated. I have not figured out how to post pictures but when I do I will. My unit work(ed) well until I cracked the Roto Swivel (again) item number 26 now I need to re-weld it back together or find something else. I had originally broke this when extracting the engine in march. So in total, my cost was less than a $1 in parts and it worked well. -Chad

OP
OP
B

Bobm500Cat

IMG_20160718_175453_284.jpg
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/Bobcat%20M500%20Variable%20Sheave%20Repair/IMG_20160718_175453_284[2].jpg
IMG_20160718_175453_284[2].jpg

OP
OP
B

Bobm500Cat

.jpg']http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/Bobcat%20M500%20Variable%20Sheave%20Repair/IMG_20160718_175453_284[2].jpg
Well I feel a little stupid. I had searched high and low for parts but finally grew a brain and inquired with Bobcat. The seals I needed were fairly cheap for my variable sheave drive. Most expensive seal piece was $35 USD. I bought everything I needed including the seals to repair my unit. The most important part number you need is: 6516301 = $34.42 USD Everything else, o-rings & washer (labeled as a seal) range from $4 USD to $10 USD. O-rings come in a package of 10 so you get 10 for the price. Hope this helps.

Slick1951

This is my DIY Variable sheave seal repair. If you review the following link this method effectively replaces items 17 through 21. You need every thing else. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=94950 Parts from Ace Hardware: qty 1 - 914-E @ $0.27 each. (this is a hollow lock pin - the real term/name eludes me at the moment) Dimensions: 3.33mm Diameter x 25mm long. qty 1 - 58193 - E @ $0.57 each. (this is a nylon bushing 7.77mm (8mm) diameter x 25 mm long. Add your favorite gasket sealer (silicon RTV blue is what I used) 1.) I trimmed the bushing length to 16mm - trimmed with a tube cutter to ensure a straight face. 2.) chucked up to a drill press the bushing marking 8mm in length and used a file to reduce diameter to 7mm or until snug into the center hole in cylinder shaft. Reference item number 16 in the linked post. This nylon busing is supper slippery and effectively replaces the spring, the washer and the oring listed - items 19, 18, 17. Because the bushing diameter was reduced, but I created a "step or shoulder" at 8mm in length, item number 20 is not needed, and I removed items 21 the original lock pins used to hold it. 3.) I cleaned the bushing with acetone and placed gasket sealer (blue RTV) around it for final assembly into the item number 16. 4.) Insert the new lock pin (P 914-E) to ensure complete alignment to the Roto swivel. 5.) Insert the Roto Swivel item 26 through 22 as normal. You should ensure the bushing is at the maximum possible length to allow the snap ring - item 25 to go in. This ensures a seal capable of minimum/no leaks as it is aligned and mated. I have not figured out how to post pictures but when I do I will. My unit work(ed) well until I cracked the Roto Swivel (again) item number 26 now I need to re-weld it back together or find something else. I had originally broke this when extracting the engine in march. So in total, my cost was less than a $1 in parts and it worked well. -Chad
Hey Bob, Thinking about doing what you did. I replaced the floating seal that cracked up, with a new factory one that after 2 hours also broke into little pieces. the seal cost over 50 bucks, i can't do that again. You have any idea why the plastic floating seal is breaking up? Thanks, Terry

Tazza

Staff member
Well I feel a little stupid. I had searched high and low for parts but finally grew a brain and inquired with Bobcat. The seals I needed were fairly cheap for my variable sheave drive. Most expensive seal piece was $35 USD. I bought everything I needed including the seals to repair my unit. The most important part number you need is: 6516301 = $34.42 USD Everything else, o-rings & washer (labeled as a seal) range from $4 USD to $10 USD. O-rings come in a package of 10 so you get 10 for the price. Hope this helps.
Glad you had a win on the seals, hopefully it will be the last time you need to do it.

Slick1951

Glad you had a win on the seals, hopefully it will be the last time you need to do it.
Hey Tazza, My Plastic floating seal keeps breaking apart, any idea why. Could it be happening when i'm installing the swivel,bearing assembly? I contacted bobcat, they told me they could not replace it because it was a wearable item. The new one lasted 2 hours at $68. So i guess I'm suppose to spend $68 every 2 hours just to run my bobcat???

Last edited: