Bobcat t-320/ forestry head issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Redneckboarder

The owner of my company just bought me a t320 with a forestry cutter. For about 3 days it went great, then the head and machine started acting up. The head will sporadically turn off like a safety is being tripped.it went back to bobcat and they couldn't do anything because they couldn't replicate the issue. Also the engine seems to be seriously lacking in power now after only 200 hours, I don't really have time on this project to keep ringing it to the dealer. So if anybody maybe has some insight I would greatly appreciate it

Tazza

Staff member
Any warning lights on the dash? How long are you running it before it starts messing up?
It wouldn't be a bad thing to check the oil temperature with an IR thermometer too. Check the motor on the cutter and ideally the hydraulic pump on the machine, sadly this means you need to lift the cab.
Still, not sure if heat would be it, if it was i'd have thought it would shut down and give you a warning light, not just stop the flow.

OP
OP
R

Redneckboarder

Any warning lights on the dash? How long are you running it before it starts messing up?
It wouldn't be a bad thing to check the oil temperature with an IR thermometer too. Check the motor on the cutter and ideally the hydraulic pump on the machine, sadly this means you need to lift the cab.
Still, not sure if heat would be it, if it was i'd have thought it would shut down and give you a warning light, not just stop the flow.
no warning lights. the head has an over ride so if you smash into something hard itll shut down the aux power so the pump doesnt try to keep moving it. I replaced the safety coil on the head and bobcat checked a few wires and connections. its a very intermittent problem and im pretty sure its in the 7 pin cable. the temps all seem ok, I go through all the vitals once every hour or so. and assuming the sensors and gauges arent broken all is well. sometimes its so bad that even when tracking over relativley flat land, head isnt on, and no bucket movement itll bog down to about 15-1700 rpm. it will catch back up in a second or so but it still shouldnt be bogging like it is. Im going to see what changing the fuel filter does today.

Bobcatdan

no warning lights. the head has an over ride so if you smash into something hard itll shut down the aux power so the pump doesnt try to keep moving it. I replaced the safety coil on the head and bobcat checked a few wires and connections. its a very intermittent problem and im pretty sure its in the 7 pin cable. the temps all seem ok, I go through all the vitals once every hour or so. and assuming the sensors and gauges arent broken all is well. sometimes its so bad that even when tracking over relativley flat land, head isnt on, and no bucket movement itll bog down to about 15-1700 rpm. it will catch back up in a second or so but it still shouldnt be bogging like it is. Im going to see what changing the fuel filter does today.
When ever you have power issuses, always change the fuel filter. The service intrival is 250 hr so at 200 hrs you are close. Also with applicantion, make sure the rad is kept clean and there is no built up on top of the turbo, they like to start on fire. As to the head, I would look at the 7 pin connection and also the cab door. With the forrestry cutter, there are two door sensor and I recall seeing problems with those.

OP
OP
R

Redneckboarder

When ever you have power issuses, always change the fuel filter. The service intrival is 250 hr so at 200 hrs you are close. Also with applicantion, make sure the rad is kept clean and there is no built up on top of the turbo, they like to start on fire. As to the head, I would look at the 7 pin connection and also the cab door. With the forrestry cutter, there are two door sensor and I recall seeing problems with those.
The radiator and engine compartment are cleaned daily and I haven't had any heat issues yet. I'm suspecting the 7 pin harness for the cutter because the other day I switched to the grapple then the mower didn't want to work after I switched back. I'll change the fuel filter and update with my findings.

OP
OP
R

Redneckboarder

The radiator and engine compartment are cleaned daily and I haven't had any heat issues yet. I'm suspecting the 7 pin harness for the cutter because the other day I switched to the grapple then the mower didn't want to work after I switched back. I'll change the fuel filter and update with my findings.
well the power issue was the fuel filter. still havent figured out the head problems though. ordered a new 7 pin harness today so we will see

7LBSSMALLIE

well the power issue was the fuel filter. still havent figured out the head problems though. ordered a new 7 pin harness today so we will see
a couuple of things you need to look at;; inspect air intake hoses specificaly where meets turbo, also note this is hi flow attach ,inspect hi flow solenoid. the kicking in and out could be door sensor jiggle. (should give DOOR , in hr meter will not store code, i have been around the block with these so have some insight hope it helps.