Bobcat S220 electrical problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

grassfeeding

I've been a lurker on this site periodically when I have needed ideas on repair issues for my machine, but now I've got one that is stumping me and could use some help. 2006 Bobcat S220 about 2k hours. I bought it a year ago and have been using it for fence clearing, brush removal, fence construction, etc, on the farm. It's been a solid machine overall. Today I went to start the machine and as soon as I tun the key all of the panel lights blink in unison with an alarm every second or so. No engine crank or anything. When I turn the key to the off position the alarm and lights continue. No codes are displayed. Only way to get it to stop is to disconnect the ground side of the battery (prbly positive would work, but easier to get to ground). I can hook ground back up with no alarm but as soon as I turn the key, same thing happens again. Fuses are all good. I pulled the negative battery clamp, cleaned and installed. Pulled all the grounds on the back of the machine, cleaned and installed. Still happening. Battery at 12.83v, don't have a battery tester but it always starts right up on the first crank even in cold weather. The primary ground wires all have continuity to ground. I can pull positive side of battery now, will clean and install, but not sure what else to do. Looking behind panel everything looks in good shape. I was testing the wiring harness back to the fuel sending unit a few days ago as the fuel gauge is on the fritz. Cleaned connections and reinstalled then ran it for about 30 min, no issues. Parked it in the garage. Then go out this afternoon to move a down tree, try to start and this happens. Not sure it's related to the troubleshooting I was doing before, pulled side cover and the connector is looking fine to me. Any ideas where to start? I could really use some ideas, I'm ok with a wrench but I'm a much better farmer and would love to get back to that work..... I appreciate any input, thanks.

OP
OP
G

grassfeeding

Cleaned positive terminal and positive battery clamp, reinstalled. No change in issue. Could use any thoughts or ideas. Thanks in advance.

flyerdan

Cleaned positive terminal and positive battery clamp, reinstalled. No change in issue. Could use any thoughts or ideas. Thanks in advance.
There should be both a parts and service manual for the S220 in the manual thread, you might check the troubleshooting guide.

OP
OP
G

grassfeeding

There should be both a parts and service manual for the S220 in the manual thread, you might check the troubleshooting guide.
I appreciate the suggestion. I've been scouring the service manual for a reference to this issue, can't find anything that mentions this. I don't think a wire shorting would do this sort of thing as it's only activated by the key switch and it continues when the switch is off. It seems like it's something programmed into the system as a warning for something but I can't find anything wrong. The 100 amp fuse, cleaned and installed, voltage across that. Is there a safety switch in the airbox or something? only thing I did since I last had it running was put in a new primary and secondary filter.

OP
OP
G

grassfeeding

I appreciate the suggestion. I've been scouring the service manual for a reference to this issue, can't find anything that mentions this. I don't think a wire shorting would do this sort of thing as it's only activated by the key switch and it continues when the switch is off. It seems like it's something programmed into the system as a warning for something but I can't find anything wrong. The 100 amp fuse, cleaned and installed, voltage across that. Is there a safety switch in the airbox or something? only thing I did since I last had it running was put in a new primary and secondary filter.
I'm not seeing any amp draw when I test between the negative battery lead and terminal. I don't think it's a short. I thought maybe low voltage so I hooked up some jumper cables and gave that a try, same thing. No crank, just alarms and all the lights right away. Only way to shut it off is disconnecting the battery.

OP
OP
G

grassfeeding

I'm not seeing any amp draw when I test between the negative battery lead and terminal. I don't think it's a short. I thought maybe low voltage so I hooked up some jumper cables and gave that a try, same thing. No crank, just alarms and all the lights right away. Only way to shut it off is disconnecting the battery.
OK, when I pull the computer fuse all the alarms and lights stop. Same reaction as when I disconnect the battery. Of course still no crank or anything else going on.

Contractor

We had an S185 that did the exact same thing. This was 13 years ago but I recall the relay/fuse compartment had some loose sockets and the relay pins were making intermittent contact and causing all sorts of issues. I think I took it apart and that helped. Also making sure all grounds- including the battery were clean and tight.