Bobcat S205 axle bearings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Pichemain

Hi... I have a 2011 Bobcat S205 with 3300 hours on it... I have a rear axle seal leaking. No biggy BUT I just want to do the job once. I checked with a dial indicator and I have 0.005" axial movement in the axle and 0.001" lateral movement. Tomorrow night I'll check the other axle and compare. My question is... how much axial movement is allowable? OR do I just do the bearing anyways? Thank you!!

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know the spec, but that is pretty close.
No need to replace bearings just yet with such a small amount of play. If you are going to tackle the job, you already know you have .005" of end float. Open the chain case, remove the bolt holding the sporcket to the axle and there is a big washer on here. You have two choices, the dealer have washers with different amounts removed from the inside to take up end float or you can do what i did. I put mine in my lathe and cut whatever the end float was from the inside of the washer that bears on the axle and leave the part that touches the sprocket.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Ideally you should do the washers to have zero end float, and hopefully never need to touch the axle seals again.

OP
OP
P

Pichemain

I don't know the spec, but that is pretty close.
No need to replace bearings just yet with such a small amount of play. If you are going to tackle the job, you already know you have .005" of end float. Open the chain case, remove the bolt holding the sporcket to the axle and there is a big washer on here. You have two choices, the dealer have washers with different amounts removed from the inside to take up end float or you can do what i did. I put mine in my lathe and cut whatever the end float was from the inside of the washer that bears on the axle and leave the part that touches the sprocket.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Ideally you should do the washers to have zero end float, and hopefully never need to touch the axle seals again.
Thanks Tazza... I think I'll look at it on the weekend. I'll remove the washer and take measurements of it and get the machinist at work to make me another one less 0.005". I guess I should also plan on changing the axle bearings over the next year or so. I don't want to get into a mess like clr1001, mind you that was an awesome repair and a lot of thought was put into it! Thanks again!

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza... I think I'll look at it on the weekend. I'll remove the washer and take measurements of it and get the machinist at work to make me another one less 0.005". I guess I should also plan on changing the axle bearings over the next year or so. I don't want to get into a mess like clr1001, mind you that was an awesome repair and a lot of thought was put into it! Thanks again!
No need to make new washers, just skim the old ones :) They are quite thick actually, your machinist will easily be able to modify the ones you have.
I wouldn't change bearings unless they get really bad. That abount of play i'd suspect is normal wear. By all means, keep an eye on the play every few months.