Bobcat S185 A/C

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Andrewsh824

I have a bobcat S185 With A/C. my A/c compress will not come on unless you jump straight 12 volts from the battery to it. the electrical connector that plugs into it the compressor has 12V but wont kick the compressor on. makes be believe there is resistance some were in the line so there is not enough amps to kick it on. i could only find one pressure switch in the circuit, should there be two? and should they be just open or closed. if there is Resistance threw the switch is it no good? and can i change that switch (if bad) without evacuating the system?

Tazza

Staff member
I bought a S150 that the AC didn't work either, turned out to be a relay.
When you jump power to the comprressor clutch, do the lines get hot and cold? if the charge is low, the switch may not allow power to the clutch.
Pretty sure if the switch was bad, you need to evacuate the system to replace it. It would be rare for them to install shrader valves for items that generally never get replaced.

7LBSSMALLIE

I bought a S150 that the AC didn't work either, turned out to be a relay.
When you jump power to the comprressor clutch, do the lines get hot and cold? if the charge is low, the switch may not allow power to the clutch.
Pretty sure if the switch was bad, you need to evacuate the system to replace it. It would be rare for them to install shrader valves for items that generally never get replaced.
pressure switch at reciever drier only one. rarely fail. evac sys weigh freon. dye and charge to spec. shes gonna be low. if mt real leak if light. got a slow leak dye should find it. maybe. regardless it will be working

mmsllc

pressure switch at reciever drier only one. rarely fail. evac sys weigh freon. dye and charge to spec. shes gonna be low. if mt real leak if light. got a slow leak dye should find it. maybe. regardless it will be working
If you have power at the electrical connector going to the compressor, then it sounds like a broken wire from the connector to the compressor. Now once you jump power to the compressor, does the ac begin to cool? or does it just run? If it is running, but not cooling, then you are probably just low on Freon. If it begins to cool, then I'd look very hard at the wiring to the compressor. If you have power to the electrical connector, then the low pressure / cycling switch is passing power through it, as it should.

Tazza

Staff member
If you have power at the electrical connector going to the compressor, then it sounds like a broken wire from the connector to the compressor. Now once you jump power to the compressor, does the ac begin to cool? or does it just run? If it is running, but not cooling, then you are probably just low on Freon. If it begins to cool, then I'd look very hard at the wiring to the compressor. If you have power to the electrical connector, then the low pressure / cycling switch is passing power through it, as it should.
7lbssmaile - do you know what the factory charge for an S150 should be? i have one, and i believe it has a slow leak, but no idea what the charge should be as the drier doesn't have a sight glass.

7LBSSMALLIE

7lbssmaile - do you know what the factory charge for an S150 should be? i have one, and i believe it has a slow leak, but no idea what the charge should be as the drier doesn't have a sight glass.
think its 2lbs but thinkining and knowing ? will check in am and post if you cant tell i like facts not congecture.

OP
OP
A

Andrewsh824

think its 2lbs but thinkining and knowing ? will check in am and post if you cant tell i like facts not congecture.
Ended up being the evap pressure switch. It was stuck some were in the middle of a open and a closed circuit. There was a shradder valve so it was a easy part to replace.

Tazza

Staff member
Ended up being the evap pressure switch. It was stuck some were in the middle of a open and a closed circuit. There was a shradder valve so it was a easy part to replace.
Wow, i never expected that they would have had one in there, glad it was an easy fix.

mmsllc

Wow, i never expected that they would have had one in there, glad it was an easy fix.
I am pretty sure that most ac systems have these type of shraeder (sp?) valves in the system as an EPA requirement. Otherwise, a rather simple repair would become a EPA issue every time. It is good to know, though. A simple jumper wire from one wire to the other on that switch should have also exposed that switch as being bad as well.