Bobcat Paint Color Codes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tsak

Hi all :
Mostly been lurking around here for a few months and finally have something to add. Great Forum, Learned alot from reading all the post. I want to thank everyone here for contributing to my Bobcat education.
It's great to know help is just a click away. I am finally doing a paint job on my 1998 873. Long overdue. Thought I would share these color numbers I haven't had much luck with the Bobcat paints, I got an automotive paint store to match the gray years ago. They mixed it by hand ( really long time ago). It cost a little more and was a little darker than factory but the quality of the paint was way better.
This time I took some hidden parts to my local automotive paint store and had them do a color match with a scanner. There scanner came up with these results:
White: # F1858 IE Car: Toyota Code: 056 Color: White Year: 1998 perfect match for me
Orange: # 6756 A Car: Ford ( I think it's for an old Mustang) Code: MX706718 Color: Orange Year: 1992 just a tad darker in bright sun but way better match than Bobcats paint
Gray: 2 color codes mixed with equal amounts of each # DS023A and #DS024 Car: Spectramaster Code: N/A Color: Spectramaster Dark Neutral Year: N/A in bright sun one was a little dark the other was a little light so we mixed the two together and it came out perfect.
These numbers should be good at any paint store and are amazingly close to the factory colors on my 1998 Bobcat. You will need to thin 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer for spraying and maybe a little less for brushing. Be sure to get reducer for the temperature you'll be painting at. I don't add any gloss hardner so the paint will stay flexable. It scratches instead of chipping. Just don't pressure wash it for a few weeks to make sure it has time to harden. My store sells Dupont Paints. The Centari Acrylic Enamel is the best @ $39.90 a quart unreduced, I have started using their commercial Dupont brand called Nason Ful-Cryl II @ $26.55 a quart unreduced. Can't tell the difference except for the price. Remember to get reducer they will add it for you or sell you just what you need for about $0.30 an ounce. That makes it @ $30.00 for a quart and half of really good paint.
Tom

Tazza

Staff member
Excellent info, thanks.
My local guy is really good at colour matching by eye, i got him to do the Bobcat orange and Kubota green, almost perfect. As for the white and charcoal i cheated and went pure white and black, they look pretty good together. The price for colour matching 2 pack was 3x the price!!!! About $100 AUD for plain colours about $150 AUD for colour matching. Equipment enamel is about $45 AUD.
You are spot on with the reducer, i always used standard general purpose thinners and got the dusty look, I just had to move faster and it would be good but I'd never get the *shine*. I recently started to use proper reducer that retards the time it takes for the paint to flash, it worked a treat. I just painted the chassis for my 751 and it has a nice shine to it with equipment enamel. The temperatures are quite low here still, so that helps slow it down as well. I may need to do the same when i use 2 pack on my 763 when i get to it, no doubt it will be mid summer when i get to that one....
If you are ever in doubt talk to the paint store, they will match reducer to the paint and conditions you are working in. If you take the time and use the rite stuff you will get a much better result, i can personally relate to this!

perry

Excellent info, thanks.
My local guy is really good at colour matching by eye, i got him to do the Bobcat orange and Kubota green, almost perfect. As for the white and charcoal i cheated and went pure white and black, they look pretty good together. The price for colour matching 2 pack was 3x the price!!!! About $100 AUD for plain colours about $150 AUD for colour matching. Equipment enamel is about $45 AUD.
You are spot on with the reducer, i always used standard general purpose thinners and got the dusty look, I just had to move faster and it would be good but I'd never get the *shine*. I recently started to use proper reducer that retards the time it takes for the paint to flash, it worked a treat. I just painted the chassis for my 751 and it has a nice shine to it with equipment enamel. The temperatures are quite low here still, so that helps slow it down as well. I may need to do the same when i use 2 pack on my 763 when i get to it, no doubt it will be mid summer when i get to that one....
If you are ever in doubt talk to the paint store, they will match reducer to the paint and conditions you are working in. If you take the time and use the rite stuff you will get a much better result, i can personally relate to this!
Heck!, I bought bright white and Chevrolet orange at NAPA, in a spray can!. Very hard to tell the difference, although I only did touch up's.