Bobcat mechanic? -- SW Ohio

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Nomechanic

Anybody know a good, affordable Bobcat / Kubota mechanic in SW Ohio? I'm in Greene County. I need to have the motor rebuilt on my 743 and don't have the time or experience to do it myself. How much would a reman'd Kubota V-1702 motor cost? How much does a rebuild kit cost? How much does it cost for someone to rebuild it for me? versus the dealer... Thanks for any info you provide. And yes, I'm Nomechanic

KSsteve

I am in the same boat. I need my 743's motor rebuilt. I have priced Remans and they range from about $3k to a little over $4k. A rebuild kit is around $1200-1400. Now if I can find someone to do the rebuild. I have never done a diesel, plenty of small block fords though.

WebbCo

I am in the same boat. I need my 743's motor rebuilt. I have priced Remans and they range from about $3k to a little over $4k. A rebuild kit is around $1200-1400. Now if I can find someone to do the rebuild. I have never done a diesel, plenty of small block fords though.
I sell a lot of the V1702 engines, Even though Im a Bobcat dealer I dont purchase them through Bobcat, Currently I sell them for 3500.00 exchange. Warranty is the same as a new engine 6 months, and no one has new anymore. Oh plus frt.
Mark

Tazza

Staff member
I sell a lot of the V1702 engines, Even though Im a Bobcat dealer I dont purchase them through Bobcat, Currently I sell them for 3500.00 exchange. Warranty is the same as a new engine 6 months, and no one has new anymore. Oh plus frt.
Mark
I get my full re-build kits for AUD $900, thats pistons/rings bearings gaskets. On top of that were dry liners for the bore at $20 each (genuine kubota are very pricy for these).
But you need to consider the injection system, there is no point in re-conditioning the engine if your pump and injectors are shagged. About $400 for new nozzles and a pump re-co.
All up parts will run you around 1,400 - 1,500. Then you need the machining work to be done. You really should get the head done too, its a small price to pay if you get the bttom end done, then you know its rite!!!
Make sure you get the radiator checked out and replace the thermostat. A few extra bucks on a re-co engine is well worth it.
New engines over here run about the 5K mark.
You can replace the V1702 with a V1903, you will need to swap sumps though. There are Dadong engines floating around the paper, they are a V1702 copy that are still being manufactured.

koup308

Mark
hi guys.i am new at this forum stuff, but a have an old 743 skidsteer. the motor is a kubota v1702 which is lacking in power. very smoky. so i am just wondering if any one has any idea where i can get a fully recond one.and how much it may cost. i need one asap as the machine is my main source of income.

Tazza

Staff member
hi guys.i am new at this forum stuff, but a have an old 743 skidsteer. the motor is a kubota v1702 which is lacking in power. very smoky. so i am just wondering if any one has any idea where i can get a fully recond one.and how much it may cost. i need one asap as the machine is my main source of income.
The other way is to look on ebay for a V2203 reefer engine. I was always told that they can over heat your pumps because of the extra HP, but others have used them before with great results. The reefer engines are cheap, you just need to swap sumps and fiddle with the throttle i believe. Have a look at ebay, see what they have to say.

WebbCo

The other way is to look on ebay for a V2203 reefer engine. I was always told that they can over heat your pumps because of the extra HP, but others have used them before with great results. The reefer engines are cheap, you just need to swap sumps and fiddle with the throttle i believe. Have a look at ebay, see what they have to say.
The long block system is the same basic engine. However, the rest is much different. I have to order one or the other from my rebuilder. Pan, timing cover, injection, govenor are different. Remember refer motors are ment to run at one speed. Not like a skid steer.
Taz, order is now complete...anything else?
Mark

WebbCo

The long block system is the same basic engine. However, the rest is much different. I have to order one or the other from my rebuilder. Pan, timing cover, injection, govenor are different. Remember refer motors are ment to run at one speed. Not like a skid steer.
Taz, order is now complete...anything else?
Mark
Oh and then there is no fun mounting a 2203 where a 1702 was!

jhan873

Hey koup308 I am 30 miles east of Indinapolis.I have worked on Bobcats for 10 years now.I can help you out if you need it.You have a few options on your motor.Let me know if I can help

Latest posts